05-07-08 – Abandoned Things

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-07-08 – Abandoned Things

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Now I would assume a toy isn’t a vehicle, provided it doesn’t have room for a kid on it.

Okay, I’ve got two tougher questions:

-are amusement park rides vehicles? It may look like a ship, but it just spins around on a central axis like a giant swing. And what about a roller coaster? It has wheels and it goes on a track, but it really doesn’t take you anywhere. I concede that bumper cars are probably vehicles, but merry-go-rounds are not.

-what about shopping carts? I don’t believe they’re vehicles, but what if I post a picture of my abandoned shopping cart collection?

Well, if we use your “it isn’t a vehicle provided it doesn’t have room for a kid on it” logic (which meshes well with the Wiktionary definition of vehicle: “A conveyance; a device for carrying or transporting substances, objects or individuals.”), all of your examples above, including Lokisbong‘s toy car would count as vehicles. They all convey people, whether that conveyance goes from point A to point B, swings back and forth, goes in a circle, or what have you.

However, I would guess all of these things (and obviously the toy car which NoBigDeal already signed off on) are fine within the theme, because they present very different visuals than the rusted truck up on blocks or cars in a junkyard, etc. My presumption regarding the difficulty was that it was an attempt to fend off the myriad of junkers and weatherbeaten shacks that we would have seen otherwise. Broken down amusement park rides just seem “different” to me.

However, I’ll defer to NoBigDeal on this if I’m interpreting things incorrectly.

headfreckle: I agree with nutkick_42. I have some ruined bridge stuff myself.

SilverStag
    Participant

This week looks like a great contest, it’s too bad I’ve had no time to go shoot for fun this week- paying gigs & prom pictures pay the bills & must come first. You guys have a great time 🙂

nobigdeal
    Participant

Now I would assume a toy isn’t a vehicle, provided it doesn’t have room for a kid on it.

Okay, I’ve got two tougher questions:

-are amusement park rides vehicles? It may look like a ship, but it just spins around on a central axis like a giant swing. And what about a roller coaster? It has wheels and it goes on a track, but it really doesn’t take you anywhere. I concede that bumper cars are probably vehicles, but merry-go-rounds are not.

-what about shopping carts? I don’t believe they’re vehicles, but what if I post a picture of my abandoned shopping cart collection?

Well, if we use your “it isn’t a vehicle provided it doesn’t have room for a kid on it” logic (which meshes well with the Wiktionary definition of vehicle: “A conveyance; a device for carrying or transporting substances, objects or individuals.”), all of your examples above, including Lokisbong‘s toy car would count as vehicles. They all convey people, whether that conveyance goes from point A to point B, swings back and forth, goes in a circle, or what have you.

However, I would guess all of these things (and obviously the toy car which NoBigDeal already signed off on) are fine within the theme, because they present very different visuals than the rusted truck up on blocks or cars in a junkyard, etc. My presumption regarding the difficulty was that it was an attempt to fend off the myriad of junkers and weatherbeaten shacks that we would have seen otherwise. Broken down amusement park rides just seem “different” to me.

However, I’ll defer to NoBigDeal on this if I’m interpreting things incorrectly.

headfreckle: I agree with nutkick_42. I have some ruined bridge stuff myself.

Yes all those are ok with me, As Elsinore said the point of the difficulty was to weed out old cars and old buildings, both of which can be their own theme.

Anything else, including bumper cars, bridges,etc… is ok by me.

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

FYI: I’m trying to keep an eye out for entries that disappear when hosting hiccups, but if I miss something, let me know so we can get it back up ASAP if/when the hosting comes back.

soosh
    Participant

I’m hoping that interiors of a building are OK. If not, I need to find something to replace my first entry.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m not concerned with it. There are also some entries with incidental buildings where the focus is on the abandoned object and not the building. Unless there’s a huge outcry over that, I’m ok with those, too.

Snug Tight
    Participant

After posting my “Abandoned section of Rt. 66” entry, now I’m wondering if there is too much car in it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

My first reaction was that it was the car and not the road that was abandoned, then I saw your description.

/Did you get your kicks?

Snug Tight
    Participant

Yes I did. 8)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

So is it kosher since the focus is on the road or do you want me to pull it?

lokisbong
    Participant

Elsinore I really like your 2008-05-07 08:03:21 PM entry.A lot of really cool abandoned stuff. I’m glad I didn’t use any of the three abandoned recliner chairs I found.
    Linguine what is that 2008-05-07 08:29:01 PM ? A boiler of some sort ?Very cool what ever it is from.

Snug Tight
    Participant

If you could, go ahead and pull it. Thanks.

corsec67
    Participant

My picture where almost nothing is actually in focus is doing quite well…

Amazing work everyone, “Making trash look beautiful”

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Thanks, lokisbong 🙂 That was a really cool place to hike down to. Almost made the ticks worth it 😉

SnugTight: Got it, no problem.

My picture where almost nothing is actually in focus is doing quite well…

Amazing work everyone, “Making trash look beautiful”

I love shallow DOF stuff. And I really dig the abandoned places and things type themes.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • The topic ‘05-07-08 – Abandoned Things’ is closed to new replies.