05-14-08 – Happy Farktography Anniversary III

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 05-14-08 – Happy Farktography Anniversary III

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

It’s Farktography’s 3rd Anniversary! Post your highest vote getters or favorite photos from the past year. Repeats from the past year’s contests are allowed but not required; HDR and text-added photos are eligible only if used in a past contest.

lokisbong
    Participant

Whoo hoo this was how I got started a year ago. Man these have been fun and educational.they don’t have to be repeats but repeats are ok correct?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s correct. The wording from last year implied that they had to have been used in previous contests, but we often have new folks like you who are just starting out (I’d only done a couple contests myself when the first anniversary contest rolled around). So with that in mind, I changed the wording slightly to emphasize more that it’s photos from the past year or entries if that floats your boat. I guess I could specifically say “repeats are allowed but not required”, though–would that be better?

U-Man
    Participant

I have never participared in an anniversary theme. I think I know the answer already, but the photos are limited to just the past year. Right? A photo from greater than a year ago is not allowed.

Also, I think that the “repeats are allowed but not required” is better.

Just had a thought – what about a theme of only repeats (or not just repreats) that goes back to the beginning? Perhaps “Farktography’s Greatest Hits”.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I have never participared in an anniversary theme. I think I know the answer already, but the photos are limited to just the past year. Right? A photo from greater than a year ago is not allowed.

That’s correct. Not easily enforced, but if someone posted a photo that showed up in their FSM profile from 2 years ago, it wouldn’t fit the theme.

Also, I think that the “repeats are allowed but not required” is better.

‘kay, I’ll edit it

Just had a thought – what about a theme of only repeats (or not just repreats) that goes back to the beginning? Perhaps “Farktography’s Greatest Hits”.

Not a bad idea–suggest it over on the themes board?

Marley
    Participant

I’ve got two question, just to clarify:

“Repeats are allowed but not required”… so that means that photos from contests in the previous year are allowed, but are any photos from the previous year (shot between 5/14/07 and 5/14/08) allowed?

We had an HDR contest in December. If photos within the last year are allowed, are any HDR photos within the last year allowed, or just photos from the HDR contest?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

If we take “repeats are allowed but not required” at its face value, then yes. The same would also reply to stitched panoramas since we did those in the past year as well. Somehow it feels “off” to me, though, to allow just any ol’ HDR or panorama…

With that understanding, technically it would also apply to photos with writing on them since we did the holiday card theme and allowed text to be added. I think at least in that case it’s kind of stretching the spirit of the contest to just allow any picture with text, and I’d be inclined to not allow it unless it was specifically an entry from that contest. Maybe that should be the case with HDR and/or stitched photos as well? Dunno. Anyone else have any opinions on this?

Marley
    Participant

I hate to say this because I’ve got one HDR I like, but I think the rules should apply, to keep all the entries on even footing.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

So allow HDR (and stitched, and text-added) photos only if they were actual entries, and all other photos can be anything from the past year?

lokisbong
    Participant

That makes sense to me.Not that it makes any difference to me .I still haven’t figured out the HDR thing completely. or stitched photos either.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I just realized that this contest won’t require searching archives, taking new photos, scanning negatives (and cleaning up the dust/scratch marks), figuring out how to crop out the good bits, etc… since by definition that work has to have been done already. So it’s going to take a lot less time than a normal week to prepare. I might get some things I’ve been putting off done this weekend. 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Got this one updated re: the HDR/stitched/text-added photos.

Morningbreath
    Participant

What criteria are you guys using for this contest? your highest vote getters? contest winners? favorite photos? or something you have not entered?

I am using my three favorite photos from the past year. Not all of them did particularly well. I may use one I never even entered in a contest, because I like it.

/just curious

linguine
    Participant

Ive always gone with my favorites, although they usually have been entries that did fairly well too.

Marley
    Participant

Since I missed last week (somehow Wednesday slipped right by me) I might just use one or two of those again. They were posted late Thursday night and probably haven’t been seen by most people.

I also might use the images I shot when I didn’t realize buildings weren’t allowed for “Abandoned Things.” Since they’re all bright and airy, I can’t even use them for “Dark and Forbidding.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • The topic ‘05-14-08 – Happy Farktography Anniversary III’ is closed to new replies.