08-15-07 – Streetlights

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-15-07 – Streetlights

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Uranus
    Participant

i want to use one of these (haven’t decided which yet), but am in doubt whether they qualify, as they are absolutely f*king huge. Also, they can be adjusted by the public (see rest of series for control panel). Comments anyone?

SilverStag
    Participant

Everyone ready? I posted my rejects for this week over in the Gallery section, hoping to stir some discussion about our criteria for culling.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Uranus: That’s an interesting streetlight–I’d think it should qualify.

I’m not ready yet. Took a few shots last night, but not sure I like how they turned out.

XenPix
    Participant

I’m resorting to archival images for this one. Any attempts I have made to actually go and shoot something has ended up with me getting frustrated by weather. Still, I think I would prefer my archivals, so I’m not too fussed about the weather, really.

QuickSilver
    Participant

I am probably thinking this to death but that’s nuttin new. Is UFO defined as Un-identified Farktography Object. Meaning not to shoot such a closeup of a street light that you lose the fact that it is a street light? Or perhaps it was an inside joke prior to my arrival here.
    This is a semi-serious question.

XenPix
    Participant

It’s a bit of a Fark inside joke. Can’t remember the exact circumstances, but there was either a news story or something where someone claimed a UFO sighting or had a picture of a UFO and it was, in fact, a streetlight.

If someone else can explain that one with less clarity than me, I’ll eat my own hat.

😀

Elsinore
    Keymaster

What XenPix said. It wasn’t even a news story, but a Farker who posted the picture she shot and submitted it as a discussion thread about how she just captured this UFO. In the thread she even posted other pictures in which you could see the streetlight in question, and people kept pointing this out to her, but she swore (for several days) that it was indeed a UFO and could not possibly be a streetlight because she wasn’t pointing the camera in that direction at all. After a couple days she sheepishly admitted that yes, it must have been a streetlight after all. I’ve got the link saved–I’ll have to post it. It made for some funny damn reading.

QuickSilver
    Participant

I seem to recall seeing that. Very Funny. My semi-serious question was just to make sure that close ups would not be thrown out as UFO’s (unidentifable [as a streetlight] farktography object). As I stated, I am probably thinking this thing to death as I am prone to do.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Nah, with such a narrow theme, I’d say anything within the subject matter should be fair game. Closeup, far away, upside down, whatever.

Uranus
    Participant

i believe that the “UFO streetlight” was also available on a t-shirt….

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Would anyone object to and/or feel that the following photo stretches the definition of streetlight too much? Not sure if I’m using this or not, just going through my archives…
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_elsinore/382456890

QuickSilver
    Participant

Some of the streetlights do resemble the heads of the aliens in War of the Worlds.

Snug Tight
    Participant

Elsinore

I would say that it fits the theme fine.

Curious
    Participant

my guess is we’ll see a lot of those. while i feel it’s questionable also for this week i’m not going to be picky about how close anyone stays on theme. there’s a family down the street with one of those 4 light cluster replica things in their yard. i drove past it and didn’t take a picture. it’s got a real pretty rose that could have been included too. but it’s not in the street and not current to this local area even in the “historic” section of town.

but i wouldn’t complain if someone entered it or something similar. same goes for bollards. may be path lighting instead of streets but it’s artificial lighting for the sake of getting from here to there.

swampa
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • The topic ‘08-15-07 – Streetlights’ is closed to new replies.