08-19-09 – Living History

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-19-09 – Living History

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photograph something over 100 years old.

Theme suggestion kudos go to orionid!

thepostess
    Participant

Darn–1 I wanted to use is almost 100 years old, but sadly, it was built in 1913.

Megain
    Participant

“Living History”… hmmmm. Is it safe to assume that the subject of the photo doesn’t actually have to be alive?

linguine
    Participant

“Living History”… hmmmm. Is it safe to assume that the subject of the photo doesn’t actually have to be alive?

Yeah, it can be buildings or anything else thats 100 years old.

clouddancer
    Participant

Okay, question. Would it be cheating (sort of) to use a natural thing, i.e., rocks, trees, really old peat bogs, or are you going more for man-made things such as houses, cars, gravestones, etc. Or, does anything count so long as its more than 100 years old? I have a couple of ideas, but I’ll need to redo some shots (bad angles and such, or not as good as I want), and I’m just curious.

orionid
    Participant

I was leaning towards anything over 100 years old. Rocks and [old enough] trees would be fine. Peat bogs would be kind of iffy, though, because even if the bogs have been around more than 100 years, the vast majority of the content of your photo (eg, the peat) would not be.

Any other opinions?

/wanted to leave it open-ish to allow for things like trees and great-great-grandmothers.

clouddancer
    Participant

Okay. I won’t post the peat bog then. It was actually a suggestion by a friend (already went there and have some pictures), but you make a good point that the top of the peat probably wouldn’t be 100 years old. I’m actually not sure where the oldest peat is and in a lot of places in that bog it’s 17 feet thick. But that’s okay. I did some cemetery shots today (had to do them twice because of water on the lens) that I think are kind of cool. I also have some of a couple of different houses that are definitely 100+ years old, though they look great because they’re kept up nicely.

Ooohh, I just remembered some pictures that *might* work and definitely would be living history. I’ll go check up on that right now.
    Edit: Nevermind. Apparently Leonard’s Mill was incorporated in 1960 on the site of actual remains but they rebuilt it with authentic reconstruction. Whoops. Oh well.

linguine
    Participant

Are we allowed to use something younger than 100 years old to represent something older?
    Yes this is for an incredibly stupid idea.

lokisbong
    Participant

I was leaning towards anything over 100 years old. Rocks and [old enough] trees would be fine. Peat bogs would be kind of iffy, though, because even if the bogs have been around more than 100 years, the vast majority of the content of your photo (eg, the peat) would not be.

Any other opinions?

/wanted to leave it open-ish to allow for things like trees and great-great-grandmothers.

That just made my search a whole lot easier.I live in redwood tree country. Most but not all of the old buildings and stuff in this town was trashed in 1964 during a tsunami.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Would anyone be kind enough to do an OBO for me? I’m in a bit of a pickle computer-wise. Thanks in advance!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3470/3833923249_ebc9cacaa9_o.jpg
    – Marblehead Lighthouse – 1822

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2262/3833925929_c372ec843f.jpg
    – Spiegel Grove: Home of President Rutherford B. Hayes – 1846

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2643/3833923353_75d3e49c4c_o.jpg
    – Side Cut canal locks on the Erie Canal – 1842

Should all be posted here if there are any problems.

Thanks again. Hope to be back next week!

linguine
    Participant

Would anyone be kind enough to do an OBO for me? I’m in a bit of a pickle computer-wise. Thanks in advance!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3470/3833923249_ebc9cacaa9_o.jpg
    – Marblehead Lighthouse – 1822

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2262/3833925929_c372ec843f.jpg
    – Spiegel Grove: Home of President Rutherford B. Hayes – 1846

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2643/3833923353_75d3e49c4c_o.jpg
    – Side Cut canal locks on the Erie Canal – 1842

Should all be posted here if there are any problems.

Thanks again. Hope to be back next week!

I can post them for you.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Are we allowed to use something younger than 100 years old to represent something older?

I wouldn’t think that would qualify, but can think of several things it could apply to and might see an argument for it. I’d defer to orionid on it, though.

linguine
    Participant

I wouldn’t think that would qualify, but can think of several things it could apply to and might see an argument for it. I’d defer to orionid on it, though.

So you would think something like this would be stretching the rules of the contest too far?

Uranus
    Participant

this is quite a good question…I have a shot of traditional costume (authentic and over 100yrs old) but, although quite old herself, i doubt that the model qualifies….

orionid
    Participant

With the blocks, I’d say only if they’re over 100 years. But I do like the humor of the intent, regardless.

As far as the costume, I figure as long as you include text to specify that it’s the costume and not the model that is the focus, or compose the photo to say as such without words, it’s all good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • The topic ‘08-19-09 – Living History’ is closed to new replies.