08-19-09 – Living History

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-19-09 – Living History

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    swampa
    Participant

Will it be OK if the subject has been there for over 100 years but was actually rebuilt about 50 years ago because it was burnt down?

linguine
    Participant

With the blocks, I’d say only if they’re over 100 years. But I do like the humor of the intent, regardless.

As far as the costume, I figure as long as you include text to specify that it’s the costume and not the model that is the focus, or compose the photo to say as such without words, it’s all good.

Thats what I was guessing and the blocks are just from the 80s, but I figured it was worth the couple of minutes I spent on it to give it a try.

Curious
    Participant

i found three that qualify and am going to also provide popping links just as added info.

i have a pretty good visual memory of photos i’ve taken and it’s real annoying when i can’t find the actual photo. or maybe my memory isn’t as good as i think 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Will it be OK if the subject has been there for over 100 years but was actually rebuilt about 50 years ago because it was burnt down?

I dunno….if it was completely rebuilt from the ground up, then it strikes me as a recreation and not a refurb or restoration. If a large part of the structure remained and they merely filled it in/restored portions of it, then I’d think it would qualify.

Then again, I could be overthinking this. I’ll defer to orionid if he has a strong opinion on this one. Or if others can give a consensus opinion.

linguine
    Participant

How certain do we have to be of the objects age, I have some pictures that I’m considering that I think are of buildings over 100 years old, but Im not that certain.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think good faith will be in play. If you’re reasonably certain it’s around 100 years old, I think that’s good enough. For a lot of things, it would be hard to prove otherwise anyway.

Also as a heads up: Flickr is still experiencing some spotty database issues. It looks like most of it has been resolved, but there’s a non-zero chance that those of us hosting on Flickr will have a photo (or three) drop into the ether. If you notice one of your entries has disappeared, please let me know so I can restore it. I’ll try to be on the lookout for things, but sometimes it’s easy to miss when something dissappears.

schnee
    Participant

Well, that was fun. Posting from the San Jose airport, waiting to board my flight. Wasn’t sure I’d get to submit before the flight. Whooo Hooo.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Love that second shot, schnee; the sky and the light are gorgeous.
    Edited to add: I guess you know the way to San Jose.

contest linky: http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=4585696

justkat
    Participant

I feel like this is a history class. I hope there won’t be any tests…. 😉

U-Man
    Participant

Hey Elsinore, would you please votinate my 2009-08-19 10:57:33 PM headstone?

/thanks in advance
    //brainfart

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yep, got it. n/p

niagh
    Participant
    orionid
    Participant

Thanks for covering clarifications while I was flying back to the real world, Elsinore. I think you hit them all the same way I would have said.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

niagh: ha!!

orionid:I’m glad that was along the lines you’d intended!

justkat
    Participant

hey soosh – just a procedural question. I posted three pix OBO QueenBee. Does FSM sort ’em out at the end of the contest, do you tweak it during at your convenience, how does that work? It’s a little disorienting to have her votes on my portfolio lol

thanks in advance for the info!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • The topic ‘08-19-09 – Living History’ is closed to new replies.