09-16-09 – Look Out Below!

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-16-09 – Look Out Below!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    justkat
    Participant

Thanks Mopsy… but no help from my pix this week, eh? lol

lokisbong
    Participant

Weeks like this have me wondering if I am actually learning anything about photography. My top two this week are tied for 90th place. Its almost enough to make a person give up. Almost. There are a lot of really nice pictures again this week.

linguine
    Participant

Weeks like this have me wondering if I am actually learning anything about photography. My top two this week are tied for 90th place. Its almost enough to make a person give up. Almost. There are a lot of really nice pictures again this week.

I’ve had plenty of depressingly low contests as well, but over time I’ve seen my average votes slowly climb up even if it doesn’t always feel like I’m getting any better.

orionid
    Participant

I’ve noticed that the weeks I go out and shoot something intentional for a theme, I tend to do better than the weeks I pull from the archives. I blame this on slowly getting better.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, this definitely wasn’t a good week for me, but meh, it happens. My Porsches in the Garden shot might have been more impressive if I’d included a link to show where I was standing for it, or even if I’d gone with one of the frames that actually had the roof and turrets in it. But I figured I should let the pic speak for itself.

For reference, though, I was here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_elsinore/3785915937/

Wider shot from the roof:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_elsinore/3785916705/

It was freaking awesome to go up there, and I’m not even a fan of heights!

nobigdeal
    Participant

Yeah, this definitely wasn’t a good week for me, but meh, it happens. My Porsches in the Garden shot might have been more impressive if I’d included a link to show where I was standing for it, or even if I’d gone with one of the frames that actually had the roof and turrets in it. But I figured I should let the pic speak for itself.

It was freaking awesome to go up there, and I’m not even a fan of heights!

My vertigo would send me reeling over the side.

My shots did ok for very old archive shots. I think the 2 NY shots were green box shots.

I also tend to do better when I shoot for the theme. Unfortunately life doesn’t always allow for that.

lokisbong
    Participant

None of mine were archive shots this time. I took my first entry just after this theme was suggested and the picture of Klamath was with my pns because I was on my lunch break a couple days ago. I don’t take the nice camera to work. I’m not trying to complain but I guess it does look like it. I will shut up now.

justkat
    Participant

I have to admit that i’m frustrated by the pictures that have little to no ‘down’ to them that have a lot more votes than mine do. I understand that my pictures don’t have “grab” and that’s really why they don’t have the votes, but it’s still frustrating. 😳 🙄 🙁

mopsy
    Participant

I just went through the entire thread again for the theme this week and agree that the voting seems strange. There are some wonderful shots from above that are in the single digits. I’m not questioning the ones that are doing well as much as why some of the rest did not do better. Of course when you forget to enable voting on an entry that does not help.
    It does get discouraging but don’t give up. I’ve learned far more about photography being a part of Fark than I ever would have on my own.

justkat
    Participant

Heh, almost every week there is at least one picture I would vote for if the person had enabled voting – this week included.

I wouldn’t think of giving up. I sometimes have bad runs, and sometimes have good runs, but the point is what you said: I’ve learned a LOT by participating in farktography; the learning and the fun is more important than the votes… but getting those top ten places is, I have to admit, especially fun! 😀

lokisbong
    Participant

Heh, almost every week there is at least one picture I would vote for if the person had enabled voting – this week included.

I wouldn’t think of giving up. I sometimes have bad runs, and sometimes have good runs, but the point is what you said: I’ve learned a LOT by participating in farktography; the learning and the fun is more important than the votes… but getting those top ten places is, I have to admit, especially fun! 😀

You want to trade signature lines then ’cause I have never gotten better than 15th . Just kidding about the trade. I would never actually quit from lack of votes or I would have given up long ago. I am learning and I have a lot of fun shooting some of the themes… and to me thats the important part.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to U-Man this week!

U-Man
    Participant

Thanks. Personally, I liked millera9’s better than mine. Even if it is a little creepy.

millera9
    Participant

Hah, thanks U-Man (I think)! Lots of good stuff this week.

wrayvynn
    Participant

why not just leave it as is? I think it looks kind of nifty. or make it a square shot around the halo. If you crop it so that only the image is viewable, it’ll likely lose some of the effect.

what lens is it, by the way?

Well, thats a nifty story. Its an old Kalt “semi wide angle super fish-eye”
    My dad found it at the dump in a camera bag all full of water, I took it apart, cleaned it up, and an adapter ring and two step up rings later, I have this nifty fish-eye macro lens! I think it was meant for use on an old video camera, but I don’t care. Its cool. I usually do a circular crop to cut out the halo and the fill in the rest with black like this… http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2542/3942092334_5d93c5d605_b.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • The topic ‘09-16-09 – Look Out Below!’ is closed to new replies.