09-19-07 – Painting With Light

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-19-07 – Painting With Light

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photograph something, anything, but use additional light, past an on-camera flash. Bounce light, flashlight, lantern, or strobe- Be creative! Difficulty: Subjects cannot be self-lit. (i.e. holding lights and running around, etc)

SilverStag
    Participant

Yessiree!

Curious
    Participant

well thanks to sleeping‘s advice i may be able to use my existing flash. or i may take schnee‘s advice and replace it. in any case i’ll have something for the contest. might even break down and get those screw in things caradoc was talking about.

SilverStag
    Participant

A couple of my entries use a flashlight- no need to spend lots of moola…

millera9
    Participant

Is it acceptable to have someone else hold the secondary light source? For example, I was taking pictures of a spider at night the other day and I had my buddy Jeremy stand on the other side of the flower and hit it with a flashlight while I took the picture to create a kinda cool silhouette effect. Can that be entered in the contest?

Curious
    Participant

and hit it with a flashlight while I took the picture to create a kinda cool silhouette effect.

don’t you mean splatter effect?

personally i don’t see any difference in using stands or your friends to hold the lights.

kmmontandon
    Participant

Only electric light?

SilverStag
    Participant

Well, adding artificial light was the intent. What exactly did you have in mind?

zeke
    Participant

Indeed — what about candles and other open flame?

SilverStag
    Participant

Well, if you burned down the house to have the right light for a portrait of Aunt Millie, that would be an acceptable use of open flame.

zeke
    Participant

True. So long as the portrait isn’t of her fleeing the blazing house while she herself is on fire. That wouldn’t be legal, because the subjects cant be self lit. Got it.

kyleclicks
    Participant

This is my first time in trying to participate in the photo contest.

Am I reading the instructions correctly that in order to post an image I’ll have to get a totalfark.com account in order to see the thread to which I’ll post my image?

Kyle

SilverStag
    Participant

No, you don’t have to have a TotalFark account: Tf’ers just are able to access the contest earlier. When the contest posts to the main page just after midnight, anyone with a fark account can enter.

kyleclicks
    Participant

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Do they tend to open in on the announcement threads, like this one, or is it a completely separate thread?

Kyle

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The thread here (and an announcement on the main page of the site here) will have a link to the thread on Fark. The contest takes place on Fark itself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • The topic ‘09-19-07 – Painting With Light’ is closed to new replies.