09-19-07 – Painting With Light

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-19-07 – Painting With Light

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    SilverStag
    Participant

I’d kinda go with Flavivirus- it’s ambiguous, and about 51% on the the no side of the line *shrug* It’s probably closer than some of the other ones we’ll see tonight, though.

swampa
    Participant
    Flavivirus
    Participant

Well, actually, seeing SilverStag’s Grandson picture, I gotta say that I’m now 51% on “yes”, hehe. (if he is the one who came up with the difficulty!)

SilverStag
    Participant

Well, my contribution to the lighting on that one was to add the flash off camera to the left.

My original intention was to get people to *think* about their contribution to lighting their photos and deliberately light them with something other than a bog-standard on-camera flash, or just natural light.

I sorta wanted to see people do things to ‘make’ a photo rather than ‘take’ a picture. So far, I’m not too disappointed. There’s only maybe one or two that don’t seem to get the idea so far.

SilverStag
    Participant

I spoke too soon. It’s turning into a trainwreck.

millera9
    Participant

I spoke too soon. It’s turning into a trainwreck.

LOL. Yeah, there are a couple in there that I absolutely don’t understand. panfried and hectorschwartz to be specific.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

This is going to be a tough one to call. Not everyone reads the forums here to know the subtle nuances of how we get the themes worked out, so they just go off what the theme description says. I’m guessing some folks figure natural light is legit since it’s a light beyond on-camera flash. Add to that the ambiguity inherent in “self-lit”–is a Church lit up at night “self-lit”? Or a club scene? So…yeah…not sure what the answer is.

Flavivirus
    Participant

I hate to be a “theme prude”, but “use additional light” means add light to the scene creatively, not use the natural light of the scene.

There’s some really nice pictures and natural lights… but unless some of these farktographers are claiming that they somehow created the sun/other natural lights and creatively applied them to their scene, it really isn’t in the spirit of the theme. Is a mod gonna do something/clarify this? If this was a theme of “show pictures of light”, fair enough (though, scientifically, that’s everything, haha)… but… some of us put a lot of work into exploring lighting techniques.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

The ambiguity stems from the wording “use additional light, past an on-camera flash”. That suggests that other non-camera-flash based light is acceptable, save for the self-lit subjects, of which several have been deleted. The theme description itself does not state that natural light isn’t allowed. Unfortunately, even for the most carefully worded themes, we often find people will interpret it in an unanticipated way that isn’t really what was intended, yet can’t really be precluded (read: deleted) due to the wording of the description and/or title.

As always, it’s not photography, it’s Farktography. Your hard work on your photos is not negated by anyone else’s photos be they on theme, off-theme, or stretching the boundaries.

Flavivirus
    Participant

Haha, that’s true!

Variety is the spice of life… it’s that “pushing of the boundary” that often produces the best images.

FixintoHurt
    Participant

Hm, mine might be borderline. I’m holding the source and so are the subjects…if you don’t like it don’t vote for it I guess?

Flavivirus
    Participant

By the way, Elsinore, I just found your flikr set… I’m in awe.

/bow

bobroberts
    Participant

Props to those who really took a lot of time to come up with creative setups. I think my two entries are technically on-theme, but they’re somewhat boring. Oh well…

millera9
    Participant

Props to those who really took a lot of time to come up with creative setups. I think my two entries are technically on-theme, but they’re somewhat boring. Oh well…

bob, let me be the first to reassure you that absolutely nothing I’ve ever seen you submit to a farktography contest has struck me as “boring”, tonight’s entries included.

bobroberts
    Participant

bob, let me be the first to reassure you that absolutely nothing I’ve ever seen you submit to a farktography contest has struck me as “boring”, tonight’s entries included.

Thanks! But seriously, I’m a lazy bastard and usually end up having to pick through my stock of photos to find pics for a specific contest, whereas most of you regulars actually put in time and hard work every week for your entries. The result is a lot of really cool, creative stuff made specifically for that contest, which is really difficult to do on a regular basis.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • The topic ‘09-19-07 – Painting With Light’ is closed to new replies.