1-10-07 – Holga/Lomo

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 1-10-07 – Holga/Lomo

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    linguine
    Participant

Yeah Ive been using the diana-holga plugin for gimp. Ive mainly been putting the zoom on 1, blur on 1 or 2, stretch on 2 or 3, and been increasing the contrast to the 25 – 30 range. I have to agree that its pretty addicting and was pretty easy to figure out what I was doing with it.

anneb
    Participant

How does the Holga “look” compare to a 126 instamatic? (Juuust wondering.)

SaintDiluted
    Participant

OOOOOOOOOO!

I got a Holga for Christmas! It came with a roll of electrical tape to fix light leaks 😉

Just in time!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That ROCKS, Dil!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

How does the Holga “look” compare to a 126 instamatic? (Juuust wondering.)

Well, I’m not entirely certain how they compare, though typically Holga shots are plagued by vignetting and by light leaks as well. The lens is plastic, so of course lens resolution is low; the image produced from it isn’t terribly sharp, even in the center.

One question that might come up that we haven’t considered is the aspect ratio. This was intended to be a square crop theme, though the Lomo LC-A (the much-more-expensive-but-similar-optical-features cousin of the Holga) shoots 35mm film, and as far as I know, there’s no way to shoot square frames on that in-camera, unlike the medium format Holga. So someone shooting an actual Lomo camera for this contest would still need to crop, I guess? In doing so, they might lose some of the character of their shot where someone simulating a Lomo in digital post-processing wouldn’t deal with that.

Just something to think about. I still like the square crop aspect, but don’t know if we have folks shooting actual Lomos that might be running into that drawback.

tedzilla99
    Participant

I’m having fun Holga-izing some photos I have!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m having fun Holga-izing some photos I have!

Show us! 🙂

monkeybort
    Participant

i just found a cool script on flickr for holga and lomo effects – going to do some more searching tonight. i think i just typed in ‘holga action cs2’ or some such into google. i’m having fun cropping to squares….i have some actual holga shots (scanned from film) to possibly use as well. i like this theme.

stupido
    Participant

Would pics from some other Eastern Block camera be OK? I am thinking of my photosniper and FED.

anneb
    Participant

Following on with what Stupido asked, how far afield can we drift, here, and still be in the bounds of “fair?”

I’m not doing well with getting a holga plugin to download and load up, so I must be doing something wrong. If I can, I’ll try to pull the gimp plugins down later on this evening.

Meanwhile: We’re looking at square formats, 3n x 3n in dimension, potential or severe vignetting, the slightly off-focus that comes from a fixed-focal length camera, saturation of colors, or blown higlights on B&W?

I’ve put up an instamatic shots- one, I’d like to use, so I’d like a rules call on this one:

(flickr URL: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10558282@N00/351907088/)

It’s 110 instamatic print, cropped to square- is it something that can stand as appropriate on its own, or should I be running it through some filters, once I get either photoshop or CS working?

veruca
    Participant

Well, the original concept was Elsinore’s square crop theme to which I added the layer of Holga/Lomo rendering on top. So depending on perspective either the square crop is the focus or the Holga/Lomo effect is…or both. Or just go with whatever makes you happy as long as it somewhat resembles or reflects the nature of the theme 🙂

monkeybort
    Participant

yeah, anneb, i think you’re fine. i cropped mine to square, but they’re not 3×3 and so far they’ve all been from my digital camera (and run through a holga script), although i do have some holgaroids scanned that i’m going to put up.

*waves*

hi veruca!!! sorry i suck at emailing!!!

SaintDiluted
    Participant

Here is a flickr set of my first roll of Holga pictures…

nothing fancy but you’ll get the idea of what the holga pictures look like..

http://flickr.com/photos/diluted/sets/72157594470224324/

Rubix
    Participant

on the off chance that i’m not the only person using paint shop pro, I found (after a lot of searching) these step by step to making a “holga” like picture in paintshop.

my html doesn’t seem to be working so…
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/lomofakersunite/discuss/24514/

Elsinore
    Keymaster
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • The topic ‘1-10-07 – Holga/Lomo’ is closed to new replies.