1-23-13 – Sepia

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Show us photos tinted in sepia.

Info: Sepia was a treatment applied to early photographs to prevent them from fading with time and warm them up. It results in a brownish-red tint to the photo. To do this with film, fully develop the print then bleach it and wash in water and sepia bath. The longer the bleach is applied, the darker the sepia. Most photo editing programs provide a sepia option for digital photos. Some cameras even have this function in camera.

kestrana carefully developed this theme–thanks!

lokisbong
    Participant

Ok I think I have my selections for this one

Barracuda
    Participant

A bit over processed??

fluffybunny
    Participant

Hey Cuda,

Since no one’s chiming in here’s my $2e-2,..

Firstly it is a great photograph and presentation, reminds me of something you might find in the Cracker Barrel post card rack.
    IIRC (the farktography rules), extensive borders and (software) vignetting are right out.
    A literal interpretation of the contest description leads me to believe that we’re looking at sepia coloration only.

/Not my contest, I am not a modmin, IANAL, void where prohibited, actual value 0.02 dollars, void in all fifty states,…

lokisbong
    Participant

in my opinion as a mod I would say yeah a bit much with the vignetting and the border is acceptable as long as it’s only a narrow border if I remember correctly. Can’t remember where the rules for posting are but I seem to remember it’s only supposed to be like 5 or 10 pixels wide. I like the shot other than the vignetting being I think a bit much .

Barracuda
    Participant

10-4, this is an older processing from a while back and figured it was out of bounds but wanted to check since it was the sepia contest. I’ll see if I like it as much w/o the light vignette this weekend.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’m not a mod, but here’s my opinion: The border is what puts it out of bounds for Farktography; the vignetting is something that could have been done in film using dodging and burning and thus is allowed in contests. That’s not necessarily my personal preference (I’d prefer that most post-processing be as non-obvious as possible), but that’s what I’ve interpreted from past discussions of it.

lokisbong
    Participant

Well I haven’t really learned much about the dodging and burning things. But I do know borders are ok as long as they are not huge. a little narrow border is perfectly within the rules. I need to do more research on the other things before I make a judgement on the vignetting I guess.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

But I do know borders are ok as long as they are not huge. a little narrow border is perfectly within the rules.

Sorry, yep, that’s what I meant – the fact that it has a border isn’t a problem, it’s that IMO it has too much border.

fluffybunny
    Participant

But I do know borders are ok as long as they are not huge. a little narrow border is perfectly within the rules.

Sorry, yep, that’s what I meant – the fact that it has a border isn’t a problem, it’s that IMO it has too much border.

Agreed.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Pretty much what they already said ^^ though I think that level of vignetting is a tad on the heavy side. I realize that can be done in the dark room, but I’d rather not be that heavy handed with stuff.

In other news, apparently my desktop machine’s clock is off by about 3 minutes. Not sure what’s up with that, but sorry for the posting delay!
    Contest linky: http://www.fark.com/comments/7552913

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Rav, 13 seconds from an epic similpost!

There are a lot of really good shots this week.

swampa
    Participant

Sorry Els, can you please delete my first attempt. 😳

Elsinore
    Keymaster

swampa: Yep!

swampa
    Participant

Danke 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • The topic ‘1-23-13 – Sepia’ is closed to new replies.