1-24-07 – Shades of gray

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 1-24-07 – Shades of gray

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    veruca
    Participant

Description: Between black and white there are many shades of gray – photograph them.
    Bonus points if you photograph monkeybort in action (no stalking 😛 ).

monkeybort
    Participant

*closes curtains*

*double checks locks*

*glances around nervously*

😛

mikemikeb
    Participant

Quick question — Can I black-and-white-ify color photos, or must the items be originally gray in color?

monkeybort
    Participant

you can b/w-ify color images as long as the effect is applied evenly across the entire image.

SilverStag
    Participant

OK, sorta technical Q… does it break any rules if I use a slide copier to dupe a B&W neagative, and then invert the gradient map to make it a positive in Photoshop?

Curious
    Participant

your copier doesn’t have the invert option SilverStag? my scanner with do both slides and negs and if i end up using old scanned negs plan on doing basically what you want to do.

the rule for photoshop generally is whatever you do must be done over the entire image. no spot treatment. see monkeybort‘s post above.

so no it doesn’t break any rules. have fun. we’ll look for your entry(ies).

SilverStag
    Participant

I’m copying them optically….actually shooting a photograph of the negative with a close-up adapter. Nikon D50’s doesn’t appear to have an ‘invert’ option that I see 🙂

Curious
    Participant

that’s cool. yeah knock yourself out. 🙂

just for giggles try the solarization setting too. and of you do please post what the results looked like here.

dgough
    Participant

enhance colors and move the little slider thingy to remove colors?
    Am I supposed to shoot B&W?
    I think I might just post what I want and if it breaks the rules or peoples don’t like it then it won’t get voted for. 😀

JP

Elsinore
    Keymaster

You do not have to shoot b/w. You can shoot color and desaturate or convert to b/w in post-processing. Or you could shoot color of gray objects. General rule of thumb for post-processing is that it should be applied evenly to the image. Feel free to post here before the contest to get a ruling if there’s something you’re not sure of 🙂

monkeybort
    Participant

i haven’t caught any peeping toms yet….don’t think there’ll be any monkeybort pics tonight. we may see one of mr. bort (aka mr. gray) though.

SaintDiluted
    Participant

a preview of one of my entries for tonight:

monkeybort
    Participant
    zeke
    Participant

i haven’t caught any peeping toms yet….don’t think there’ll be any monkeybort pics tonight. we may see one of mr. bort (aka mr. gray) though.

That just means you need to work harder at goading Mr. Bort into joining us. 😆

monkeybort
    Participant

well, he registered last night but is still on probation until 10:30 mst or so – maybe your lovely wife could shorten the waiting period? *wink wink nudge nudge*

he may post something, he’s over at his computer shaking his head and giggling at my nerdiness.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • The topic ‘1-24-07 – Shades of gray’ is closed to new replies.