1-24-07 – Shades of gray

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 1-24-07 – Shades of gray

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    renko
    Participant

Looks like I need to buy totalfark to avoid falling 15 to 20 votes behind, before it even goes green 🙂

monkeybort
    Participant

actually i think the leaders at greenlight time only had 4-5 votes…..:P but farktog is responsible for a lot of us totalfarkers, so you wouldn’t be the first!

i got it for the regular contest time. hated waiting for it to go green.

schnee
    Participant

actually i think the leaders at greenlight time only had 4-5 votes…..:P but farktog is responsible for a lot of us totalfarkers, so you wouldn’t be the first!

i got it for the regular contest time. hated waiting for it to go green.

Here’s where schnee says “yeah, there is a TF advantage, but it’s really not all that big”. Seriously, I ran the numbers, I made the charts, I discovered that there’s only a small advantage conveyed to early posters. Its there, mind you – on average, an early photo will get more votes – but it is not all that significant. Surprised the heck out of me. I may revisit that analysis at some point.

So what did I do? I took the software and morphed it into the Farktography Statistics Manager and then I went and got TF as well (specifically for farktogging).

renko
    Participant

No kidding. I should have paid more attention to the numbers when I first saw it go green. It’s just hard to imagine that a good photograph would only garner 4 to 5 votes in the five hours between the contest opening and green light.

monkeybort
    Participant

between the time the greenlight time is set and when it actually goes green there is no voting – so usually there are only 2-3 hours of voting before it hits the main page.

plus there is a much smaller pool of people looking at the thread pre-green – the TF farktog crowd is not all that big (yet! soon we will expand and slowly take over the known universe, excluding gary, IN.).

Elsinore
    Keymaster

There are also a lot of folks who just don’t vote until it goes green or even the next day. FWIW, for the Favorite Places theme, erond didn’t enter until like 9am the next morning and ended up finishing in like second place. I think he was a liter then too.

/another person who went TF for Farktography

Curious
    Participant

i don’t vote until the next day. if you vote early it’s only fair to go back and look at the later entries and vote for them if one of them strikes your fancy. ergo, i wait and do it all at once.

tgee
    Participant

a lovely wife shortens probation? OK, here goes…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

a lovely wife shortens probation? OK, here goes…

huh? I’m confused, though it doesn’t take much these days 😆

powerplantgirl
    Participant

I think tgee was referring to pics of Monkeybort, but I also get confused easily.

tgee
    Participant

I think tgee was referring to pics of Monkeybort, but I also get confused easily.

Yeah I was, sorry, just getting the hang of this forum. Monkeybort wrote:

well, he registered last night but is still on probation until 10:30 mst or so – maybe your lovely wife could shorten the waiting period? *wink wink nudge nudge*

Also forgot to set voting on that post, so if you like it I guess you can vote for *this* post as a proxy…

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • The topic ‘1-24-07 – Shades of gray’ is closed to new replies.