10-18-06 – HDR

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    veruca
    Participant

Let’s have some fun with HDR.

Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging
    a tutorial from artic_fun:
    http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-H_5T2YkwabKeCpsD8dd5mT0-?cq=1&p=2
    and another tutorial:
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/high-dynamic-range.htm

Please keep your entries closer the the side of farktography rather than complete photoshopping when possible.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Can I get a rules ruling on something? I have a shot I previously submitted to a contest as a regular photo, but I’ve taken the shot and made an HDR out of it, which looks quite a lot different than the original. However, I assembled the HDR from the same original file, but developed it at several different exposures to combine for HDR. I’m guessing this shot would/should still be disqualified since the base file is the same as the image used for another contest? Just making sure…if it’s ruled acceptable, I’ll use it, but otherwise, I won’t, and my heart isn’t set on it or anything.

monkeybort
    Participant

i would have to say it would probably be considered a duplicate, since the base image is the same as one you had used before.

sorry!!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

*nod* That’s what I’d think too. No need to be sorry, just wanted to be sure!

Diggin
    Participant

I had planned to take shots of Great Falls for the HDR contest but my (almost) 5 year old son has just broken the head on my Bogen Manfrotto. Looks like the cards aren’t in my favor for this contest. What a shame because I practiced my butt off for it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Do you shoot RAW? If so, you can create an HDR image from a single RAW file by developing it at different exposures. All of the shots I’ll have this week are done like this. One benefit to using a single RAW file is that you don’t have to worry about aligning the images, because they’ll be exact other than the exposures. If you want to try this method, try shooting a middle-of-the-histogram exposure, that way you don’t add too much noise when you bring the exposure up in post-processing. You can bring the exposure down for the shadow detail, and your in-camera exposure will handle the mid-tones. You can obviously break it out into more exposures if you like, but 3 often will do the job.

Diggin
    Participant

Yes I shoot RAW but I was going to soften a water fall using slow shutter speeds that required a tripod. I think it would have been my best HDR. I guess I could still go hand held but I’d have to find another subject. Of course, that seems to be the problem- finding something worth photographing. Everything in Washington DC has been photographed to death. It took me all day just to think about photographing the falls. Pfft… maybe I could try an HDR Macro? Any ideas would surely be welcomed. My co-worker came up with Black and White HDR nude model shot. Yes, the co-worker is a guy.

This is a tuff contest! (Well, for me cuz it’s my first!)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oh wow, that really sucks about your tripod, then! Are there any rocks or benches or railings near there that you could stablize your camera on to take the shot? With a waterfall shot, I think you’re going to want to use a single RAW file anyway (even if you do a slow shutter to soften), because the different placement/positioning of the water and droplets in the various exposures will create ghosting in the final image.

On the other hand, an HDR macro definitely could be nice. Or go for something otherwise mundane in some otherwise harsh lighting…like something sitting in the light streaming in from window with more shadowy areas visible. Or you could go with DC landmarks even if they have been photographed to death. They’ve been photographed, but how many HDR shots of DC would likely be entered into this contest? Not likely that many, and even if there were others, what you do with your tone mapping can potentially make it look like a very different shot.

So I say don’t stress so much about it. It’s just Farktography–have fun with it 😉

Oh, and welcome aboard 🙂

Diggin
    Participant

Where’s the link to your work Elsinore? I’d like to see it.

You know what… I have a “kitty” tripod that stands about 6 inches high. Unfortunately it only has unilateral adjustments but I think I can get it to work using your bench or rock method. In fact, I’m taking off work early to go do that! Thanks!

In the mean time, my employer was kind enough to let me use my corporate credit card on a new head.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

well, my HDR attempts are at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_elsinore/sets/72157594331587481/

Good luck getting your waterfall shot–I bet it will make for a beautiful image in HDR. If you go with creating from a single long exposure RAW image, expose to the right just a bit on your histogram, that way you can bring down the exposure for the shadows, and when you bring up for highlights you won’t bring up as much and won’t increase noise much. Hope that makes sense–I’m not wording it well.

Pretty sweet that work’s letting you order a new tripod head!

Have fun getting your shots today!

monkeybort
    Participant

contest link

link will post at 2:27 am, EST.

ubernerd42
    Participant

Man, I really want to post in this one, but with a 9AM class I can’t afford to stay up late enough to post. I guess I’ll catch the tail end of things in the morning.

bobroberts
    Participant

Props to all of you who were actually able to produce usable HDR images this week. This contest was very educational for me, in that I learned how dullard-ic I am when it comes to the technical stuff.

My entry is the result of great frustration and annoyance and, while technically (in terms of process) is HDR, has absolutely none of the qualities associated with the technique.

Looking forward to next week…

-AT

Diggin
    Participant

Thanks Bob!

I for one will miss the HDR contest and eagerly await another- unlike some people.

chakalakasp
    Participant

Congrats to SaintDiluted for the awesome baseball shot! & let that be a lesson to everyone who thought I was a sure win this week — nobody’s a sure favorite for any contest. 🙂 I knew last week that I probably wouldn’t win this one, not because I didn’t have good entries, but because I knew that there are a whole lotta talented farktographers out there and that only a few of them have ever tried their hand at HDR… and that once they did, we’d all be surprised how awesome it looked.

BTW, BobRoberts — I really dug your entry this week. You have a habit of thinking outside of the box!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘10-18-06 – HDR’ is closed to new replies.