10-18-06 – HDR

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    mikemikeb
    Participant

Props to all of you who were actually able to produce usable HDR images this week. This contest was very educational for me, in that I learned how dullard-ic I am when it comes to the technical stuff.

My entry is the result of great frustration and annoyance and, while technically (in terms of process) is HDR, has absolutely none of the qualities associated with the technique.

To be honest, I had the same sort of problems as you, as my entry was my first try with HDR and it sure didn’t come out the way I wanted. The streetcorner wasn’t vivid enough, nor was the sky blue enough, and so on and so on. Plus, you really need to pick a good spot for an HDR photo, with plenty of highlights and shadows, and the living room isn’t really it. Trust me, you do have potential to get a good technical one. In fact, you already have in the Favorite Places contest, where you put the polarized sunglasses in front of the lens, and subsequently finished second, and you’re way more talented than me at photography in general. chakalakasp has the knack for picking the right place and shooting it in a proper way (including HDR), and I believe you can, too.

And speaking of you, chaka, I’ll second your congrats to SaintDiluted for that baseball pic. Not to diss your own photos, chaka, but that one is truly the best entered photo this week. Hey, at least you have the NYSE and NYC moon photos available if there’s ever a Classic HDR theme. If you’re ever perplexed with photo choices, you’re always invited to private message me for an honest opinion.

veruca
    Participant

Thanks Bob!

I for one will miss the HDR contest and eagerly await another- unlike some people.

If no one objects we can throw in a random HDR element every now and again. Like for the upcoming autumn we can allow entries, but maybe then not again for a few weeks. Would everyone be okay with that or ?

monkeybort
    Participant

makes no matter to me, other than i’ve already shot my autumn stuff and now all the leaves have fallen…..of course i could work some stuff with dead branches or other fall-related things……

long story short, sounds cool to me!!! 😛

veruca
    Participant

And I just wanted to say sorry if I jinxed you for the trifecta chaka-man!

anneb
    Participant

Thanks Bob!

I for one will miss the HDR contest and eagerly await another- unlike some people.

Oh, I dunno, I’m slowly starting to get the hang of it, and I would very much like to play around with it some more, contest or no. But the learning curve has been a steep wrestle, and until I do get it, I don’t want to fight with my CPU up against a deadline!!

I’m certainly not all for light, forky goodness each week, either 😉

bobroberts
    Participant

You’re definitely right about the importance of picking a good place to shoot HDR photos, mikemikeb. (Clearly, I didn’t…haha.) I really liked your street-corner shot, though, and in general my personal preference with HDR is for subtlety.

I wish I’d known fill-flash was acceptable for this week’s contest, because I have a shot of a family I took last year that I’d love to enter. (Let’s have a fill-flash theme!)

SaintDiluted
    Participant

Thanks for the congrats!

I didn’t think I was going to be able to hold my own in this one.. imagine my surprise when I logged on this morning to find my photo in the lead!

Voting is still open though.. and anything could happen with artic_fun’s photo, so I won’t say I won this one til it’s all over but the cryin’ 😉

This is probably my most successful HDR attempt yet… it’s not quite as realistic as some would hope, I guess, but I like the effect, and after all is said and done, it’s whether your photos make you happy that matters most.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

If no one objects we can throw in a random HDR element every now and again. Like for the upcoming autumn we can allow entries, but maybe then not again for a few weeks. Would everyone be okay with that or ?

Honestly, I’d much rather see HDR remain a separate theme rather than allowing it for some contests and not for others, or at the very least have specific themes for HDR, like HDR landscapes, or HDR architecture or something. Beyond the potential for confusing folks (“Is HDR ok for this week or was it next week? Oh screw it, I’ll just post it anyway”), HDR still requires a level of post-processing well beyond what’s allowed in the original rules or the spirit of the rules (IMHO), and I think HDR photos will have an overall advantage over LDR photos.

I’m not opposed to repeating the HDR theme more often than classic themes are usually repeated, though. It was a lot of fun learning the techniques and playing with things. However, one thing to consider, too, is participation levels. Without hard numbers from the FSM, I’d guess the number of Farktographers entering this week was lower than average or typical, which could be due to the need for specialized software, learning curves, disadvantages to film shooters, etc. Just more to consider…

/.02 yen
    //yes, yen

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘10-18-06 – HDR’ is closed to new replies.