10-29-08 – I, for One, Welcome…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-29-08 – I, for One, Welcome…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photograph our new reptilian overlords. Snakes, Lizards, etc. Difficulty: No people allowed.

Props to SilverStag for the theme suggestion!

corsec67
    Participant

I have no lack of subjects for this contest, thanks to my cats.

They are capturing about 2 lizards a day right now.
    Difficulty: they are not allowed outside ever, due in part to the bear I posted in the Bear theme.

soosh
    Participant

hmm. we’ve got a distinct lack of reptiles up here. going to have to go with the prop lizards.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Question, SilverStag? If a photo shows people body parts (e.g. legs/feet) but not full people and/or identifiable people (i.e. they’re incidental) is that going to be kosher? I usually go pretty strict on the “no people means no people” but sometimes people are ok with incidental stuff in the distance…

SilverStag
    Participant

Incidental people parts are OK. Bonus points if they’re chewed off 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol Fark might not be ok with chewed off body parts 😉

U-Man
    Participant

No frogs or toads, right? Reptilian not amphibian.

/i gots me some frog and toad pics i want to use sometime.
    //turtles would work though, correct?

SilverStag
    Participant

yup turtles are good. As are dinosaurs (big bonus for pics of live ones!), etc.

wrayvynn
    Participant

c’mon, amphibians are cold blooded! Oh well:| will have to hunt for something else. Hey soosh, for our states capital juneau sure is lacking in some ways :S. I mean, no fair? Even Salcha has a fair…anyway, because all i have for reptiles are turtles i need to make a run to the pet store to cheat :D.

mopsy
    Participant

SilverStag Are crocodiles okay? I looked up reptiles in Wikipedia and crocodilia are considered one of the orders of reptiles. What do say you?

SilverStag
    Participant

Yep crocs and gators should be ok.

redwoodcruzr
    Participant

Hey, I thought the experts decided that dinos were just big scary birds without feathers. Don’t sound much like reptiles to me. 😉

U-Man
    Participant

Hey, I thought the experts decided that dinos were just big scary birds without feathers. Don’t sound much like reptiles to me. 😉

Sshhh! I just raided the 10-year-old’s room for a subject for pic #3.

SilverStag
    Participant

Experts, shmexperts.

1. The word dinosaur really does not mean ?terrible-lizard?. Actually it was originally defined to mean ?fearfully-great lizard?, by Richard Owen in 1842. The Greek word deinos, when used as a superlative, means ?fearfully-great? ; as used by Homer in The Iliad. It became simplified over time, as an adjective, to mean ?terrible?. In reality, scientists believe that dinosaurs are neither ?terrible? nor ?lizards?!

When the secrets of prehistoric life were unearthed, scientists tried to picture the feelings of those confronted by the great monsters whose fossil bones were coming again to light. Sir Richard Owen (English, 1804-1892) named a few of these creatures, from Greek words. Thus there was the terrible (fearful) lizard (Gk., deinos, ?fearful?, plus sauros, ?lizard?).

?Dictionary of Word Origins by Joseph T. Shipley

Common usage wins, in my NSHO… close enough for horseshoes and Fark. 🙂

Dinosaurs stay in 🙂

nobigdeal
    Participant

How about dragons? Glass or otherwise?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • The topic ‘10-29-08 – I, for One, Welcome…’ is closed to new replies.