11-29-17 – Dream a little dream

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-29-17 – Dream a little dream

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m fine with them. They’re absolutely drastically changed…the original photos really aren’t part of the image any more after all that’s been done to them. I honestly doubt anyone will be bothered by it.

Morningbreath
    Participant

Cool theme idea, I would already like to do it again sometime.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Agreed. It’s a nice adjunct to Software Hootenanny. Still lots of fun processing, but a more specific technique.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

FWIW, this contest didn’t get picked up by Bibliostats.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, he let me know this week would be delayed due to personal obligations. It will be updated, but probably not for a week. I still can search for noobs and returnees manually, though.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

This contest has now been scanned but there’s bad news – Fark has decided to prevent me from downloading images. I already had to make an emergency change to the scraper during Thanksgiving the previous week due to yet another HTML change and now images are returning 403 Forbidden when I try to download them. So, the rankings and stats will be correct (until the next HTML change) but there’ll be no more thumbnail images on the Bibliostats contest pages.

The personal obligation that Els referred to is that I was moving to another city for a few-months-long work assignment. Said work is going to keep me very busy and I likely won’t have time to make any changes to the scraper so the next HTML change will probably be the end of Bibliostats.

Frankly, I’m tired of having to make late-night emergency changes to the scraper every time the HTML format changes on Fark so regardless of my work commitment, I may be at the point of bowing out of the Farktography monitoring business. If this is important to Fark and its users then Fark needs to expose a web API for querying contest entries so that formatting changes don’t affect the scraper.

I’m really sorry folks. The first contest that was scraped live for Bibliostats was #287, “He’s a Fun Guy,” on 2010-Oct-27 so it’s been a good run but we may be nearing the end :(.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

This contest has now been scanned but there’s bad news – Fark has decided to prevent me from downloading images. I already had to make an emergency change to the scraper during Thanksgiving the previous week due to yet another HTML change and now images are returning 403 Forbidden when I try to download them. So, the rankings and stats will be correct (until the next HTML change) but there’ll be no more thumbnail images on the Bibliostats contest pages.

The personal obligation that Els referred to is that I was moving to another city for a few-months-long work assignment. Said work is going to keep me very busy and I likely won’t have time to make any changes to the scraper so the next HTML change will probably be the end of Bibliostats.

Frankly, I’m tired of having to make late-night emergency changes to the scraper every time the HTML format changes on Fark so regardless of my work commitment, I may be at the point of bowing out of the Farktography monitoring business. If this is important to Fark and its users then Fark needs to expose a web API for querying contest entries so that formatting changes don’t affect the scraper.

I’m really sorry folks. The first contest that was scraped live for Bibliostats was #287, “He’s a Fun Guy,” on 2010-Oct-27 so it’s been a good run but we may be nearing the end :(.

I’m really sorry to hear that 🙁 On the “no more thumbnail images” thing, is that just for Dream a Little Dream or all contests going forward? Because this week looks right. Also, I can see if Fark’s code monkeys would be willing and/or able to do something with API. Worth a shot anyway…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

On the “no more thumbnail images” thing, is that just for Dream a Little Dream or all contests going forward? Because this week looks right.

Yeah, I saw that. Maybe I got 403’s because I scanned the last contest after it closed? Even then I see that 3 out of 39 thumbnails made it through. Strange. I really don’t know the hows and whys of it.

Also, I can see if Fark’s code monkeys would be willing and/or able to do something with API. Worth a shot anyway…

That would make life so much easier! And really, I’ll keep at it as long as I’m able. I really don’t want Bibliostats to disappear but like I said, my time is pretty tight for the next few months.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘11-29-17 – Dream a little dream’ is closed to new replies.