12-12-07 – Farktography Classic: HDR 2

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-12-07 – Farktography Classic: HDR 2

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    schnee
    Participant

Wow, you have a ton of ghosting in the clouds there. One advantage to doing it in Gimp is that you can paint out the layer mask in areas like that to make it all one of the layers. That is pretty cool, though, in an more abstract-art kind of way. Probably took about 1 min in qtpfsgui, though.

OK, that qtpfsgui is pretty nifty:
    [img]

You are right, there is pretty massive ghosting. I used the Fattal the Drago operators in the tonemap and then hopped over to Photoshop, used the Drago-output as the background and the Fattal-output as a 70% “overlay” layer (*). I think you are right – I do need to reduce the ghosting in the clouds a bit.

(*) Right there, that DQs this image from Farktography.

schnee
    Participant

By schnee at 2007-11-20
    HDR composed in Photoshop, tonemap (Fattal and Drago operators) in qtpfsgui, layer comped back in Photoshop (Drago background, 70% overlayed Fattal). Oversharpened.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s really nice, schnee. I’ve just started playing around with qtpfsgui, and it’s handy. Complains some when I try to assemble an HDR from a single image (exposed differently from the original RAW–you just have to tell it what the EV is for each…). Would doing an overlay like that really DQ for the HDR theme? Obviously it’s verboten for our usual rules, but the HDR theme kinda relaxes those, right?

schnee
    Participant

That’s really nice, schnee.Would doing an overlay like that really DQ for the HDR theme? Obviously it’s verboten for our usual rules, but the HDR theme kinda relaxes those, right?

I suppose that is “our” call. The last HDR contest had this in the rules:

Please keep your entries closer the[sic] the side of farktography rather than complete photoshopping when possible.

So it seems like we got a bit looser in general, which we sort-of had to do.

I’d like to blend some layers, but that’s just b/c I’m a one-trick pony.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m not sure that layers blending is really that far removed from creating HDR in general. It’s certainly more like HDR in spirit than say airbrushing out elements in an image or pasting in a new sky for one that didn’t turn out as well as you’d liked (for HDR or LDR). Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Morningbreath
    Participant

I forgot what a great contest the last HDR was.

corsec67
    Participant

I’m not sure that layers blending is really that far removed from creating HDR in general. It’s certainly more like HDR in spirit than say airbrushing out elements in an image or pasting in a new sky for one that didn’t turn out as well as you’d liked (for HDR or LDR). Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I always thought that what the rules meant is that if you have to select a location on the image for a tool that it definitely isn’t allowed, but if you apply the tool to the entire image evenly that it is mostly OK, so Levels, USM, noise-reduction, etc. are OK. Blending two different images would probably be the exception that really isn’t allowed.

The HDR contests relax that last restriction in that images with the same composition but different exposures can be blended together with any tools.

At least, that is how I interpret the rules.

idle_hands
    Participant

those look pretty good you guys. i downloaded Qtpfsgui but i’m not having much luck.

do you just experiment with the settings till you get something decent looking? everything i tried looked completely fake.

orig:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2393/2054064064_6276dc4757_o.jpg

buggered up version:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2357/2053279679_1df65a0225_o.jpg

corsec67
    Participant

those look pretty good you guys. i downloaded Qtpfsgui but i’m not having much luck.

do you just experiment with the settings till you get something decent looking? everything i tried looked completely fake.

orig:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2393/2054064064_6276dc4757_o.jpg

buggered up version:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2357/2053279679_1df65a0225_o.jpg

How many source images are you using there? HDR requires at least 2 pictures with the same composition, but different exposure. Usually aperture is fixed, and shutter/ISO is changed, and then you use Qtpfsgui to lower the contrast of the images to fit into an 24-bit(8 bits per color) jpeg.

linguine
    Participant

I just played around with the settings and looked at what other people were doing in the qtpfsgui group on flickr because a bunch of them share the setting they used in the description: http://www.flickr.com/groups/qtpfsgui/
    Ive mostly used durand and reinhard 2 but I know a couple others are good at doing realistic pictures as opposed to fatal which often overblows the saturation.(I think mantituk is pretty realistic but I havent used it much yet)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

idle_hands: Make sure you click on the tone map button after you make the HDR if you aren’t already. But yeah, play around with different settings. I usually leave the gamma correction alone, but you can play with that too.

Also, for point of reference, you can create a pseudo-HDR from a single shot, if you shot RAW. Just push or pull your exposure in a series (-0.5, 0, +0.5, +1, for example) and name your output files differently to keep them straight (qtpfsgui requires TIFF or jpg extensions). You may need to save it in such a way that it loses the EXIF data, because the program will think it’s all the same exposure otherwise. I used TIFF’s which I don’t think carry EXIF data anyway. The program complains a bit, but basically it asks you to select each file and tell it what the exposure values were for each, then it can build the HDR from that.

idle_hands
    Participant

thanks for the tips! will play about with it more today. also thanks for the link linguine

Snug Tight
    Participant

That qtpfsgui program is very cool.

This one is just a quick test. I am going to play around with it some more today.

FutherMucker
    Participant

It’s no question that new users of Qtpfsgui maybe will go heavy hand on the Fattal, but what is question is if is OK to make such a look as this?

This is not my entry image, but was curious on this.

Is too extreme, yes?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It’s a little extreme for my taste, yes, but it wouldn’t violate the allowances for this theme. Fattal can definitely give some wild results, eh?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • The topic ‘12-12-07 – Farktography Classic: HDR 2’ is closed to new replies.