2-20-13 – Office Space

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 2-20-13 – Office Space

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I guess none of us have office jobs?

Glad that I don’t, that will suck the life out of you.

office by Craig in TO, on Flickr

This is my desk, it’s cleaner than usual as I’m in the office more these days. I’m supposed to spend 80% out in the field (literally)

Curious
    Participant

i have a couple but am waiting to see where this goes. mine might be off theme since they are of/from my home office.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Finally came up with 3 pics of one of our more distinctive downtown office buildings. All 3 are quite different from each other.

Phew.

Yoyo
    Participant

Nah. I loved my cubical at Los Alamos. Herman Miller was a genius (although the Aeron chair is an over-priced piece of crap). I wish I could find some surplus cubical pieces to outfit a home office in my unused dining room.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Just FYI: Looks like there’s a bug in the voting for tonight’s thread. Coders are on it, but it the thread might go live without comments envotinated. Don’t panic, it’ll be resolved.

lokisbong
    Participant

I have nothing for this one. And I mean nothing.

orionid
    Participant

I left my last cubicle on September 14th, 2001. Best birthday ever.

bender16v
    Participant

Same here, nada. I’d love to photograph some of the ancient screw machines in the plant where I’m working but I don’t think they would like me hauling a camera around inside an aerospace supplier. I do have a home office, but it has been a couple weeks since I’ve been there.

fluffybunny
    Participant

I’d love to photograph some of the ancient screw machines in the plant where I’m working

My Uncle was a partner in a screw machine plant for all of his adult life. Must have had 50 or more going at once. Awesome place for a mechanically minded kid.

ravnostic
    Participant

Thanks for the OBO, fluffybunny!!

fluffybunny
    Participant

Thanks for the OBO, fluffybunny!!

De nada, anytime.

Barracuda
    Participant

My own theme and I’ve got nothin (still) to post. Won’t start with the reasons, but enjoying what has been submitted (and voted for plenty of em).

fluffybunny
    Participant

My own theme and I’ve got nothin (still) to post. Won’t start with the reasons, but enjoying what has been submitted (and voted for plenty of em).

Been there many times. Life gets in the way. Don’t let it stop you though.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to BecauseISaidSo this week! Very well played 😉 I’ve been wondering how you got the message to read that on the printer? Did you have to hack it?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Congrats to BecauseISaidSo this week! Very well played 😉 I’ve been wondering how you got the message to read that on the printer? Did you have to hack it?

Thanks Els! After the shocker bombed, I wasn’t sure how this one would play, but I guess it’s a little more specific to the theme.

Thanks also to everyone who voted. And congrats to fluffybunny on his combined win – a strong showing indeed.

As for the printer message, the status message on older HP printers (printers that use PCL – Printer Control Language) is programmable. So if you know the right PCL command, creating a program to set the status to whatever you want (as long as it’s 16 characters or less) is pretty simple.

When I first wrote the program a few years ago, I set the status to “FEED ME A CAT” and then waited to see how long it’d take until one of the kids noticed it. 🙂 I later changed it to “INSERT QUARTER” and tried to make some coin off of their homework, but the cheapskates never paid.

A note about that printer – that’s an HP Laserjet 4 Plus that I’ve had since the early-to-mid nineties. I put a new toner cartridge in it once a year and it just keeps going. I don’t think they make ’em like that anymore.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • The topic ‘2-20-13 – Office Space’ is closed to new replies.