20070816 FSM is down

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    schnee
    Participant

Hi folks:

The FSM is down for a bit – my connection attempts to Fark.com are all returning a “Server redirected too many times (20)” exception. I hadn’t changed anything on my side – maybe Fark is doing something different.

Seems to have started sometime in the last week.

I don’t know (a) what’s going on and (b) when I’ll have it fixed.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update, schnee. I’ll keep my fingers crossed….

schnee
    Participant

Farkin’ Fark.com. They started to care about the User-Agent header. I need to do something like this:

System.setProperty("http.agent", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.2) FSM/20070815");

and then it seems to work.

Speaking of work, I’m at work now so I won’t get this going until tonight.

fark, fark, fark.

/Yo’ Zeke, you may need to care about this…

caradoc
    Participant

Last time I saw that particular error, it was related to an authorization problem. Does the FSM authenticate to the Fark servers?

schnee
    Participant

Last time I saw that particular error, it was related to an authorization problem. Does the FSM authenticate to the Fark servers?

No, it does not authenticate (my auto-poster does, but that’s not the FSM).

I did a little test case with and without setting the user-agent. Without (which is what the FSM does) fails and with succeeds. I’m thinking that the default Java user-agent (“Java/1.6.0” or something) is not recognized by Fark.com.

I asked Drew if he knows what’s what but haven’t gotten a response yet.

zeke
    Participant

/Yo’ Zeke, you may need to care about this…

Yep, thanks for the heads up. I ran some tests, and verified that the PHP is not sending any HTTP user string at all. The packet sniffer shows just the ‘GET’ request and request version, but there’s no user agent. Somehow, I’m still getting data on both the live and test sites though- the packet trace showed the image grabber is getting valid data, files are being stored, and I did a close on the test site and everything worked just fine.

So good news, FT is ok, bad news, it could be something on your end. PM me…

// Update: scratch that — what I was seeing was an initial grab right before the fark db started dropping piles of excrement. I’ll check again in a bit, what I was seeing was the requests timing out….

// Second update: original statement stands — not sending a user agent, getting everything back right. Could be something changed with fixing things, but the live site has been getting data without a problem since the contest was greenlit, so… I got nothing.

Analogy
    Participant

Is the entire Fark.com website down for anybody else?

Curious
    Participant

not the main page but clicking the articles or the comments produces crap results. if memory serves the main page is on one server and the go.fark stuff is all on another one.

i’m getting redirects to the main page from article links and timing out on the comments.

zeke
    Participant

In a word, yes. Everybody’s hosed atm…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yep just got this message:

Fark Database Problem

The Fark database is temporarily unavailable right now, which is why nobody’s password works. Please try again in a few minutes.

zeke
    Participant

…and they’re back.

Curious
    Participant

so it was you Zeke and schnee pinging it to pieces?

🙂

QuickSilver
    Participant

Curious, I think it was me because I looked at them and found that they were not updated for the complete contest last week. Thus my looking caused the quantum particles making up the entire farking web to change its state to that of something totally unrecognizable and blew everything.

schnee
    Participant

FSM may be back now.

E, I’m not sure that the OBO’s you did got applied.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

w00t! I’ll check on the OBO’s. Should I re-do them if they didn’t take?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • The topic ‘20070816 FSM is down’ is closed to new replies.