3-14-07 – Behind the scenes

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 3-14-07 – Behind the scenes

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

If it’s any consolation, liters do have a chance to win. The TF advantage is there, but it’s not a huge huge thing.

Btw, it’s nice seeing you in your pictures 🙂 Just to be sure, though, that pic of you looks like you were holding the camera, but I wanted to be sure you either held it out or set it on a self timer. We’re getting a lot of folks lately who are entering shots other people took…

Analogy
    Participant

Eh, I barely have enough time to read regular Fark, much less Totalfark. The question is whether $5/mo is worth it to get more votes in a photography contest. =P

And yes Elsinore, I’m holding the camera. Took me about 5 shots shooting blind to get a good composition. =D Having the portrait grip on the 30D does makes it a bit easier to do arms-length shots though, with a shutter button on the bottom of the camera.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’ve considered that portrait grip, but the camera’s already pretty beefy for me (my hands aren’t all that big), so I figured adding it might make it more unwieldy for me. Still….

Thanks for clarifying 🙂

Curious
    Participant

Eh, I barely have enough time to read regular Fark, much less Totalfark. The question is whether $5/mo is worth it to get more votes in a photography contest. =P

i seldom (seldomly?) — don’t very often read TotalFark but i do find that having it is useful. and if you get the 6 month or one year deal there’s a price break.

and by useful i don’t mean it helps particularly with votes. it’s just nice to be able to go to totalfark if you want to. and to prove my vote contention you have 2 votes for each of your entries right now. i have a 4 hour head start and no votes for mine. go figure 🙂

Analogy
    Participant

Portrait grip’s not that heavy, actually, it’s mostly plastic (with a rubberized grip) with most of the weight being in the batteries. It does make things a bit tighter in your camera bag though, the portrait grip was the straw that broke the camera bag’s back for me, I just couldn’t squeeze it all in anymore. But the benefits, oh the benefits, stuff like going a month between charges if you put two Li-Ion batteries in there (you can run it off just the one that came with the camera if you want though), being able to run on AAs if you do run out of juice, and of course very comfortable vertical orientation shooting (I shoot vertical a lot at events) make it very worth it for me. It also has a loop to attach a hand strap, which makes the camera feel a lot more secure in my hand, especially when I’m out at a bar shooting rock bands with a drink or two in me.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, being able to run it on AA’s is definitely tempting to me. But I’d definitely need a bigger bag..the one I have currently is already busting at the seams! lol

Analogy
    Participant

Oh BTW, Picasa recently decided to let users hotlink to their images. Unfortunately by default the most usable images are either 400 pixels wide or 800 pixels wide. What I ended up doing was uploading my pics at 700 pixels wide natively and selecting the “800 px” option, which worked fine. If I want the ability to click for a larger picture I’d have to upload a larger image separately and link to that. It’s a kludge but it works.

Analogy
    Participant

But I’d definitely need a bigger bag..the one I have currently is already busting at the seams! lol

Photography rule #43,232: Gear tends to expand to fill the available space in your gear bag. Or phrased another way: Your gear bag will always be completely full regardless of how big the bag is or how little gear you’re trying to fit in it. Even if you get a bigger bag without getting any new equipment.

I wonder if there’s a correlation between skill at Tetris and skill at photography?

The truck in my first entry tonight is hilarious to pack up, because it’s what’s known as a “dual feed” truck, which means it’s capable of broadcasting two simultaneous shows of the same event for different broadcasters (usually the local TV for both the home and away teams’ markets), so it needs twice as much of some of the equipment as a “regular” truck would need, but with no more room to store it than a regular truck. It all fits, somehow…

powerplantgirl
    Participant

No entries for me! I was at a camera class learning how to actually use this thing.

You guys all had awesome pics! I was curious how this theme would go. Brilliant as usual!

linguine
    Participant

damn it, why didnt I think of taking a shot of a light poll during the day and titling in behind the scenes ufo hunting

millera9
    Participant

Wow, not only did we get a ringing endorsement from Drew’s mom, but the top five are separated by one vote each! Damn good contest this week folks, lots of very interesting entries!

mikemikeb, the microwave pic is a riot. It might be the best self-portrait I’ve ever seen!

schnee
    Participant

Hey, we went over 3000 farktographers today! Yeah for us! Once I get back to the SchneeWorld corporate HQ, I’ll figure out who the lucky farktog is.

Claff
    Participant

I looked at the entries when I got home from work at 6:30AM and posted my entries, so I have to go back and see what’s been posted since then. But from what I’ve seen already the contest has far and away exceeded what I hoped it would be when I proposed the theme. Farktographers get to work and play in some very cool places and that they can show us those places with such quality shots is pretty neat. I think we did good this week.

anneb
    Participant

damn it, why didnt I think of taking a shot of a light poll during the day and titling in behind the scenes ufo hunting

I thought of submitting http://www.flickr.com/photos/annebphoto/421649060/ with the caption, “NASA workers prepare UFOs to hang above street” but figured I’d hold it in case we really DO do streetlights as a theme. Or “Geometric shapes and crayola colors” or something. 😉

mikemikeb
    Participant

Thanks to Elsinore and millera9 for their comments regarding the microwave pic. For anyone else that liked it, I’m pleased that you did.

As for millera9, it looks like you’ll edge out the victory this week. Congratulations!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • The topic ‘3-14-07 – Behind the scenes’ is closed to new replies.