3-14-07 – Behind the scenes

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 3-14-07 – Behind the scenes

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    millera9
    Participant

Hehe, thanks but I think monkeybort should get it. She was winning when veruca called it last night. Besides, her picture’s way better and took way more skill and forethought. She deserves it!

monkeybort
    Participant

aw shucks, thanks miller. but your win will show in the FSM, so i think it’s yours. or we could just call it a draw?

mikemikeb
    Participant

Hehe, thanks but I think monkeybort should get it. She was winning when veruca called it last night. Besides, her picture’s way better and took way more skill and forethought. She deserves it!

I was thinking the same sort of thing but was too scared to say it — I didn’t want to offend you.

I’d say that the FSM is the main arbiter of who gets the ultimate victory.

millera9
    Participant

*shrug* I’m ok with calling it a draw if that’s what you guys wanna call it. I dunno, I’m still kind of a newbophyte (that’s a cross between a newbie and a neophyte) around here!

veruca
    Participant

Actually this brings up a good point. A long time ago (I’d have to look up the thread) there was a mod discussion about when the contests should be called and a winner declared. We settled on 24 hours from when the contest hit the front page. That’s when I check the thread and scrape the results.

So technically 24 hours after this contest when I called it ‘bort was this week’s winner. No offense to you millera9, of course. We should probably post this in the rules for clarification though for times like these where the order changes after the contest is “officially” over.

millera9
    Participant

Actually this brings up a good point. A long time ago (I’d have to look up the thread) there was a mod discussion about when the contests should be called and a winner declared. We settled on 24 hours from when the contest hit the front page. That’s when I check the thread and scrape the results.

So technically 24 hours after this contest when I called it ‘bort was this week’s winner. No offense to you millera9, of course. We should probably post this in the rules for clarification though for times like these where the order changes after the contest is “officially” over.

None taken at all. That’s what I’ve been saying all along. 🙂

staplermofo
    Participant

Rats, I was hoping this would be taken to the Staplerdome. Two farktographers enter, one farktographer leaves.
    *sighs, takes off his novelty foam hand*

schnee
    Participant

Don’t worry ‘mofo, should I ever get off my duff, I’ve got a scoring system guaranteed to inject controversy into every contest. Staplerdome would be a weekly follow-up to Farktography.

/not really
    //well, sort of

monkeybort
    Participant

Rats, I was hoping this would be taken to the Staplerdome. Two farktographers enter, one farktographer leaves.
    *sighs, takes off his novelty foam hand*

see, i prefer the fission method. one farktographer enters, two leave.

i’m good either way – whether we want to call it at the official farktog call time or just let the chips fall where they may once the voting is done….i wonder if there is a way to archive the thread ~24 hours after the start via fark so there would be no more voting after veruca calls it?

veruca
    Participant

see, i prefer the fission method. one farktographer enters, two leave.

i’m good either way – whether we want to call it at the official farktog call time or just let the chips fall where they may once the voting is done….i wonder if there is a way to archive the thread ~24 hours after the start via fark so there would be no more voting after veruca calls it?

that’s dependent on fark and the way their archiving is handled. i know they archive eventually but i’m not sure how long afterwards. a week? a month?

my method isn’t a perfect science either. contests which have hit the front page in the middle of the night haven’t necessarily been scraped at 24 hours because i’m in coma land.

should we take another look at how contests are called? run a poll? anyone have a better idea?

Curious
    Participant

i suggest we have someone (not me) monitor the voting by hitting F5 starting at 24 hours after live and continuing for the next 24 hours if the spread is greater than 5 votes or 48 hours of the spread is less than 5 votes.

after that they need to buy a classified from Drew to post the results.

we can have the awarding of ribbons and cash prizes either friday or saturday night since no one winning has a life outside the internets anyway.

monkeybort
    Participant

yeah, i think if we wanted to archive it immediately after you call it we’d have to set it up all special-like with drew and the admins.

veruca
    Participant

yeah, i think if we wanted to archive it immediately after you call it we’d have to set it up all special-like with drew and the admins.

i wonder how much Heineken that would cost… 😛

Curious
    Participant

you know on the really close ones we could contact the supremes.

no, not the court, the singers.

but seriously folks, why does it matter when it’s “called”? the FSM will have the totals at some point and if we have to wait a day or two to post the winning photos ……… ok we wait. how many page hits does our winners page get? i’d bet my lunch money that most folks look at the fark “view votes” thing, not our page. our page is real nice and easy for checking at a later date because it’s easy to find. however those that entered can see their standing at fark in real time. and if you’re like me and finish 23rd fark can be easier to see who finished above and below you.

veruca
    Participant

but seriously folks, why does it matter when it’s “called”? the FSM will have the totals at some point and if we have to wait a day or two to post the winning photos ……… ok we wait. how many page hits does our winners page get? i’d bet my lunch money that most folks look at the fark “view votes” thing, not our page. our page is real nice and easy for checking at a later date because it’s easy to find. however those that entered can see their standing at fark in real time. and if you’re like me and finish 23rd fark can be easier to see who finished above and below you.

“back in the day…” there was no fsm. the 24 (or reading back, 23) hour rule was imposed about a year ago last january for a specific reason having to do with vote counts possibly being thrown. i don’t believe (and correct me if i’m wrong schnee) that the fsm was created for official tracking purposes. it’s an independent 3rd party website created by a farktography enthusiast for supplemental reference.

basically for me, the one who updates the site, it would be nice to know when the results are final if we’re going to revamp the way things are done. unless we’re talking about pitching the idea of updating this site and using only the fsm for contest reference?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • The topic ‘3-14-07 – Behind the scenes’ is closed to new replies.