40 or 50 or 60

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware 40 or 50 or 60

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

I’ve got a nice chunk of money coming in over the next few weeks and I am in the market for a new body. For a while now I thought I would upgrade to a 40D for cost reasons and all my current gear would transfer, no new batteries or cards. Now, I’m looking at a side job that will carry me into new camera territory. So, I COULD afford something more. (A 7D is right out for cost.) If I buy on KEH.com I know I am getting a reliable camera for the money, so if I buy used I’ve got a nice safety net. Basically, Canon shooters, anyone using the 50 or 60D out there? Is it worth doubling the price of a good 40D for expanded ISO and a few megapixels? (I am not a megapixel junkie, I could kind of care less about the megapixel jump, I am interested in the expanded ISO.)

Oh, and Nikon users, yes, yes, I know I could buy a Nikon but I am NOT going back on the lens market unless I win the lottery!

nobigdeal
    Participant

I love my 40D but there is no comparison to the 50D. For me the higher ISO makes the difference. I am looking to upgrade to a 7D very soon but I have also looked at the 60D seriously. My advice would be to bypass the 50D and jump to the 60. For the price difference you get much more camera although the body being plastic on the 60D is a bit of a turnoff for me. But I suppose there is a tradeoff of all those features versus keeping the cost down.

(I’ve even been considering jumping ship to Nikon…that D7000 is a pretty sweet unit! But don’t tell anybody)

ennuipoet
    Participant

I love my 40D but there is no comparison to the 50D. For me the higher ISO makes the difference. I am looking to upgrade to a 7D very soon but I have also looked at the 60D seriously. My advice would be to bypass the 50D and jump to the 60. For the price difference you get much more camera although the body being plastic on the 60D is a bit of a turnoff for me. But I suppose there is a tradeoff of all those features versus keeping the cost down.

(I’ve even been considering jumping ship to Nikon…that D7000 is a pretty sweet unit! But don’t tell anybody)

The metal body is the whole reason I went out of the Rebel line. I want to know that it will take a LITTLE abuse. Plus, I am highly dubious about the HD video. (In my experience the more things a piece of technology does, the more things there are to break. I want my SLR to be a VERY good SLR and that is it. Also, I don’t shoot video, I don’t WANT to shoot video, I am a still photographer not a budding film artiste.) The price difference between the 50 and 60 is almost no existent. I will think about the 60, but the plastic thing…

olavf
    Participant

I love my 40D too, but I’m trying to pinch my pennies for a full-frame.

If the 60D is, indeed plastic, I’d probably stick to a 50D too though.

Speaking of…. *drool*

http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/11/5d-mark-iii-specs-cr1/

Next year, supposedly…

nobigdeal
    Participant

The 5DII is an amazing piece of equipment. I would love one but I know that I would then have to upgrade all my lenses! As for the 60D/7D, I would use the video, that’s part of the appeal of the D7000, full time autofocus in video mode.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I would trade a LOT for full frame, but the only way that is happening is buying used. I’m not against that, but right now I am keeping it real. That 5D MKIII is…well, let’s just say I’m tingly. The one thing I have done is buy EF lens instead of EFS so when the day comes I have my full frame, all of my lenses will work!

LeicaLens
    Participant

I can’t help you on the Canon purchase, but apparently with the high mega-pixel full-frame sensors, L lenses are pretty important.
    I read that in a magazine here, but I don’t use Canon myself so I don’t know how true it is. Basically, though, a 28MP sensor (as rumoured on the site linked to) will require some pretty expensive glass, and that is what is putting me off.
    I would love a full-frame DSLR, but when I think of the lenses, I can only see myself getting a Canon 5D. Which is still a pretty sweet camera.

chupathingie
    Participant

First thing I noticed about a full frame was how wide it felt. I went from a 300d to a 5Dii, and the kit lens at 24mm practically felt like a fish-eye.

It also forced me to build a new PC… stitching 120meg TIFFs together is a system crusher.

The nicest thing to me was all that extra room to crop while still having enough pixels to keep details.

It will make you a clean-freak, even the smallest bit of yuckus on the glass shows up in the image.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I’ve settled on the 50, the plastic was a player, keeping my current batteries and memory cards was the decision point. I had some friends try to get me to go full frame with 5D as well. In the end, the kind of photography I am currently doing just can’t justify FF cost. I’m just now starting to see a tiny trickle of money coming in from photography, but not enough to justify FF Goodness. Somewhere down the road, if my plans come together I will buy the big gun. For now: after months of buying old film cameras, which I love don’t get me wrong, the idea of having new digital makes me wiggly inside! 😀

chupathingie
    Participant

Good for you! I still need a spare battery…

ennuipoet
    Participant

So, I went with the 50D which arrived today. I took a minor risk the listing on ebay had the camera used with less than 10K shutter activations but the internal flash wasn’t popping up. I don’t use the internal flash so I risked it. Picked up the camera for 600 bucks. Which is a VERY Nice price on a 50D. The camera arrived today, sure enough the internal flash did not work. I did five minutes of research on the interwebs, located the fix, three seconds to fix, problem solved. Awesome deal on perfectly good camera!

Merry Christmas to me!

nobigdeal
    Participant

EOS info utility will tell you the exact shutter count. you can download it here. it works great! http://www.astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx
    Congrats on the camera! I just dropped my 40D and 50D off to be cleaned this morning.

ennuipoet
    Participant

EOS info utility will tell you the exact shutter count. you can download it here. it works great! http://www.astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx
    Congrats on the camera! I just dropped my 40D and 50D off to be cleaned this morning.

Per EOS Info my new camera has 8,743 shutter activations. Nice.

olavf
    Participant

So, I went with the 50D which arrived today. I took a minor risk the listing on ebay had the camera used with less than 10K shutter activations but the internal flash wasn’t popping up. I don’t use the internal flash so I risked it. Picked up the camera for 600 bucks. Which is a VERY Nice price on a 50D. The camera arrived today, sure enough the internal flash did not work. I did five minutes of research on the interwebs, located the fix, three seconds to fix, problem solved. Awesome deal on perfectly good camera!

Merry Christmas to me!

Sweet! Have fun with it!

/got a link to the flash fix? Kat’s 20D has a similar problem – you can ‘help’ it but it generally doesn’t pop up on it’s own

ennuipoet
    Participant

/got a link to the flash fix? Kat’s 20D has a similar problem – you can ‘help’ it but it generally doesn’t pop up on it’s own

Inside the hotshoe there are two rails on either side of the shoe that are depressed when the Speedlite is mounted to the hotshoe.

These rails can either be stuck down or have gunk built up between them and the metal. Gently lift the rails (I used a small screwdriver) so they are not compressed and then clean (I used a q-tip) and that should correct the problem. (When these are down the camera things the speedlite is mounted and disables the internal flash)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘40 or 50 or 60’ is closed to new replies.