5-3-06 focus people, focus!

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 5-3-06 focus people, focus!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

So after talking to schnee, who envisioned this theme in the first place, we’re going to post the top 3 O’s on a page where the photoshoppers have ready access to them. However, there will also be a blurb inviting them to peruse our contest from last night and contact the photographer if they would like to use another image outside of the top 3.

That really sounds like the only option at this point; I don’t think there’s any other way to deal with this that would be fair for all involved. I think it’ll be neat if the Photoshoppers pull from all the entries, and I’ll be interested to see what they come up with.

On a related note, while this week’s contest seemed to have an inordinate number of off-theme entries, looking through past contests, it seems like there are always pictures that don’t fit, and some of them get lots of votes. Is there any way to deal with this for future contests? Some way to disqualify entries that don’t fit the stated theme? Might be difficult since some themes are open to a little creative interpretation, but some entries pretty obviously don’t fit.

And while the photographs that win each week are great photographs, it’s not really fair to those who followed directions and put work into creating something that fit the weekly theme if someone else wins or gets lots of votes for something that doesn’t adhere to the same limitations everyone else worked under.

Again, not sure if there’s a way to address this, juast kinda throwing it out there…

schnee
    Participant

That really sounds like the only option at this point; I don’t think there’s any other way to deal with this that would be fair for all involved. I think it’ll be neat if the Photoshoppers pull from all the entries, and I’ll be interested to see what they come up with.

Hopefully we can get it done in a manner that will give the ‘shoppers source material that they can work with and won’t hurt any feelings.

[xnipped good comments about moderation]

Moderating would be hard work for the modmins – one of ‘us’ would have to be involved (probably more than one) and it would just get confusing.

The “off-theme” posts were especially noticable this time, and sort of damaging to the theme due to the follow-on photoshopping.

Regarding this contest, mistakes were made and lessons were learned, but we all got to see some nifty photos. Next time, the cross-over theme will much more specific.

monkeybort
    Participant

i was thinking about this earlier today as well – we could put something in the first post about keeping the theme in mind as you vote. i mean, just because a photo is beautiful doesn’t necessarily qualify it for the contest.

is there a good objective way to decide what fits and what doesn’t? therein lies the rub, i think. if we start asking the mods to pull stuff or calling people out in the thread i feel there will be anger, which is not at all what we’re going for.

i totally agree though – it is really frustrating to have an image that fits the theme and is a good image and then have something completely unrelated to the theme and/or not a quality image getting a ton of votes.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Moderating would be hard work for the modmins – one of ‘us’ would have to be involved (probably more than one) and it would just get confusing.

Yeah, I can see that.

Regarding this contest, mistakes were made and lessons were learned, but we all got to see some nifty photos. Next time, the cross-over theme will much more specific.

Don’t be too hard on yourself…it’s just a game, eh? 😉

veruca
    Participant

If this were our own website with the mod group we have now, we’d be fine. But since we can’t mod in the thread itself…well we have to rely on the posters to read and adhere to the rules. I don’t even know if our requests to have certain posts deleted would happen because the fark mods have no idea who “we” are.

So what can you do with the repeats and the off-topic posts? Make a contest so simple (say, a color?) where the odds of getting it wrong are slimmed down?

I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings either, nor do i want to isolate anyone. So how do you maintain some semblence of balance when you really have little power to do so?

veruca
    Participant

I definitely think we should try again! Even through all the grumbling and drinking at my keyboard I’m still having fun *winks at monkeybort*

monkeybort
    Participant

If this were our own website with the mod group we have now, we’d be fine. But since we can’t mod in the thread itself…well we have to rely on the posters to read and adhere to the rules. I don’t even know if our requests to have certain posts deleted would happen because the fark mods have no idea who “we” are.

So what can you do with the repeats and the off-topic posts? Make a contest so simple (say, a color?) where the odds of getting it wrong are slimmed down?

I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings either, nor do i want to isolate anyone. So how do you maintain some semblence of balance when you really have little power to do so?

’tis a delicate balance – following/enforcing the guidelines without hurting anyone’s feelings. i hate the idea of having to simplify something that really shouldn’t be that difficult to follow in the first place….

the one time i submitted a farkback to get something removed i never heard back nor did the post go away.

i know the answer……a leather glove!!! aaaaaah hahahahahahaaa!!!

schnee
    Participant

On the plus side, we did pickup 36 farktographers that we’ve never seen before, and crossed the 2000 threshold for total number of unique farktographers who have ever participated. 93 distinct farktographers picked up at least one vote, and it made the Greatest Contests Recently list.

All this and more at the re-skinned Farktography Statistics Manager

monkeybort
    Participant

hahahahahahaaaaaa schnee – just noticed the acronym for the Farktog Stats Manager.

/lovin’ the noodly appendage.

schnee
    Participant

hahahahahahaaaaaa schnee – just noticed the acronym for the Farktog Stats Manager.

/lovin’ the noodly appendage.

I may have offended the Appendage. Electrical power to SchneeWorld Corporate HQ was disrupted last night due to a massive thundertorm blowing though Austin TX. It still hasn’t been restored.

What’s the pennance? 5 Ramen’s and 12 Holy Spaghetti’s?

Anonymous
    Participant

I may have offended the Appendage. Electrical power to SchneeWorld Corporate HQ was disrupted last night due to a massive thundertorm blowing though Austin TX. It still hasn’t been restored.

What’s the pennance? 5 Ramen’s and 12 Holy Spaghetti’s?

You’re forgetting your Spaghetti-O’s…

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘5-3-06 focus people, focus!’ is closed to new replies.