6-20-07 Apples vs. Oranges – the final showdown

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 6-20-07 Apples vs. Oranges – the final showdown

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    markie_farkie
    Participant

Can someone work with the Fark mods to get each week’s contest bumped to the top of the main page around 10AM Eastern? I think we’re missing a lot of potential exposure (no pun intended) to the contests since they greenlight at midnite and age off the main page pretty quickly.

Thoughts/comments anyone?

QuickSilver
    Participant

Would someone be so kind as to inform me of the cutoff time for the submission of photos for the contests?
    Thank You,

QuickSilver

Klahanie
    Participant

Can someone work with the Fark mods to get each week’s contest bumped to the top of the main page around 10AM Eastern? I think we’re missing a lot of potential exposure (no pun intended) to the contests since they greenlight at midnite and age off the main page pretty quickly.

Thoughts/comments anyone?

The way it works now is that it’s the first thread on Thursday. If it went green earlier it would be at the end of Wednesday and actually age off the main page faster. I honestly don’t know if we could get an earlier greenlight anyway, as it took almost two years to get it where it is now. 😐

Would someone be so kind as to inform me of the cutoff time for the submission of photos for the contests?
    Thank You,

QuickSilver

There is no official cutoff time and some us view the photos well into Thursday.

QuickSilver
    Participant

Thank You so much for the quick reply.

QuickSilver

Klahanie
    Participant

You’re welcome. 🙂

Curious
    Participant

There is no official cutoff time and some us view the photos well into Thursday.

i may still be looking at them on friday afternoon depending on the contest. i don’t vote until thursday late morning because i want as many as possible to have entered. i tend to only do the voting run through one time but a good late entry will get a late vote.

markie_farkie
    Participant

The way it works now is that it’s the first thread on Thursday. If it went green earlier it would be at the end of Wednesday and actually age off the main page faster. I honestly don’t know if we could get an earlier greenlight anyway, as it took almost two years to get it where it is now.

Usually they can “bump” a thread to the top of the queue once it’s gone green (regardless of original posting time) in order to get more visibility. That would certainly help get more people to see the link in the first place, and encourage new posters/voters to spend a few minutes looking things over..

I’m sure with a little prodding they would do that…

QuickSilver
    Participant

Hello All,
    Might there be enough lattitude to allow the posting of 6 pictures for each contestant photographer? In that way, one would be able to post a photograph showing the winner to be either and therefore not appear to have committed one’s self to favor one over the other. 😆 Oh calamity ❗ , I almost forgot, what about showing neither as the winner? 🙄 Well never the mind, I have confused myself and must retire to collect my thoughts until the contest.
    😉
    QuickSilver

monkeybort
    Participant

I think six is a bit much….four or two might be do-able though – thoughts?

Uranus
    Participant

if it ain’t broke….

i reckon it’s up to the mods on the day, but it does encourage submitters to be choosy if the 3 limit is adhered to.

(by all means post more if you want to show off :D, but only voting on 3. if the series is good, at least one will carry the day for the contest win.)

Klahanie
    Participant

if it ain’t broke….

i reckon it’s up to the mods on the day, but it does encourage submitters to be choosy if the 3 limit is adhered to.

This is pretty much the conclusion we came to the last time this was brought up.

monkeybort
    Participant

(by all means post more if you want to show off :D, but only voting on 3. if the series is good, at least one will carry the day for the contest win.)

actually, please don’t – it kills the bandwidth if people are posting 10 pictures each just to show what they *might* have entered.

and now that i think about it, if someone wanted to show an even balance of power they could just post two pictures and call it good.

Curious
    Participant

well i won’t be posting anything tonight. got some props but it seems the muse was on vacation this week.

and IMHO three at >100kb each is enough in any given week. fark may allow 200 but at 640 x 480 you’re just wasting kb and slowing down the thread. it would be great if we could go down to 50kb each but mine look like crap at that file size.

Uranus
    Participant

and now that i think about it, if someone wanted to show an even balance of power they could just post two pictures and call it good.

…or step up to bat in the gallery……….add link……et voila!

egad! it’s all so simple!

QuickSilver
    Participant

Greatly sorry that my jest was taken to be a serious request for more pictures to be allowed into the contests by each participating Farktographer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • The topic ‘6-20-07 Apples vs. Oranges – the final showdown’ is closed to new replies.