9-13-17-In Memoriam: Nite Skies, Landscapes, & Abndnd Pl

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 9-13-17-In Memoriam: Nite Skies, Landscapes, & Abndnd Pl

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

In memorial of Soosh, show us your night sky, icy/snowy landscapes, and/or abandoned places shots.

This is not intended to be an astrophotography theme, so advanced techniques like stacking are still out. This is intended to highlight photos of the style that Soosh was best known for. Examples of his work can be seen here: http://bibliostats.com/farktography/user/soosh

(Note for Elsinore: The subject line got truncated. It should read “In Memoriam: Night Skies, Cold Landscapes, & Abandoned Places”)

(Edited by Elsinore to add official title/description. Title: In Memoriam: Night Skies, Landscapes, & Abandoned Places. Description: Farktographer soosh passed away this week unexpectedly. He was with Farktography from nearly the beginning, starting with contest #5, inspiring and assisting countless Farktographers along the way. As a memorial to him, show us your best photos of the night sky, landscapes, and/or abandoned places–the photos soosh was best known for. Examples of his work can be seen here: http://bibliostats.com/farktography/user/soosh For this week’s theme, you can employ exposure stacking for night sky photos.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

SilverStag messaged me on FB suggesting a nature theme in Soosh‘s memory. Either of these would be good. SilverStag also suggested since this was a memorial that it be outside regular Farktography; no voting, just sharing. I’m totally fine with that; it would allow people to stack or do whatever they wanted because it’s just a sharing thread. Any thoughts there?

idle_hands
    Participant

Sad news. He was a stalwart farktographer

idle_hands
    Participant

When will this be?
    Beautiful idea!
    xx

nobigdeal
    Participant

I like the idea of Night Skies, Cold Landscapes, & Abandoned Places. It’s what i think of when i think Soosh’s photography.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Also Wow….I havent been on here in along time 🙁

orionid
    Participant

SilverStag messaged me on FB suggesting a nature theme in Soosh‘s memory. Either of these would be good. SilverStag also suggested since this was a memorial that it be outside regular Farktography; no voting, just sharing. I’m totally fine with that; it would allow people to stack or do whatever they wanted because it’s just a sharing thread. Any thoughts there?

I’m honestly good with either approach. I just suggested something similar to what we did when Pangolyn passed with “Here thar be Dragons.”

olavf
    Participant

I can kinda either way, but I lean towards non-votey. The theme should be stuff that reminds me of Soosh‘s work the most?

Timing, if we can replace this week’s would be ideal, or next weeks’ at the outside.

olavf
    Participant

The theme as presented wouldn’t be a bad votey thread the more I think about it. Votination might encourage more people that haven’t been around that long.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

If it’s a non-votey thread, we can run that semi-concurrently to the regular voting thread this week. Just start it tomorrow or Fri and run it for 3 or 4 days. Otherwise, I could replace next week’s thread and make it voting. The current Farktography thread links to the Eclipses description, but I can shift things if need be.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I vote for swapping out next weeks theme. I’ll try and get myself out and shoot something in memory of Soosh.

orionid
    Participant

Maybe dual threads? Keep Eclipses and run a non-votey memorial in parallel?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s kind of what SilverStag was going for. Btw, it occurs to me that the original Software Hootenanny theme was Soosh‘s idea. In light of that, I think we should allow for stacking.

orionid
    Participant

Sounds good.

olavf
    Participant

I’m really liking the idea of getting as many people as possible involved as an in memoriam. A parallel thread is going to mostly be just us – which is cool, but it just wouldn’t be very inclusive to the larger community.

night sky, icy/snowy landscapes, and/or abandoned places shots with stacking would be cool for that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘9-13-17-In Memoriam: Nite Skies, Landscapes, & Abndnd Pl’ is closed to new replies.