Always a good feeling…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Always a good feeling…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    caradoc
    Participant

…to ditch a “provider” like GoDaddy.

My hosting’s all moved now. The DNS registrar changes will be happening shortly.

chupathingie
    Participant

Good for you!

ravnostic
    Participant

I’ve always been happy with them, from before I really gave a crap about who was who and what was what, though using their services and then working with them as an employee, and now, years after that. And of course, my needs, thusfar, have been small.

What’d they do ta’ya?

But–more importantly, are you getting a better deal? I’ve paid for hosting through like 2014 or something but thereafter…

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I’d guess it’s their support of SOPA. I’d be right behind you if it wasn’t such a huge effort and I didn’t already have hosting paid up for another year.

caradoc
    Participant

I’d guess it’s their support of SOPA.

Among other things, yes. Parsons’ elephant-shooting video left me with a sour taste, too.

chupathingie
    Participant

I can’t for the life of me understand why a hosting service would shoot themselves in the foot by supporting a measure that guts the safe harbor provision of the DMCA. Public backlash aside, that really stands to make a host’s job much more complicated and expensive.

Kestrana
    Participant

My only thought on why they might be supporting it is fear that there will be backlash from the Feds when/if the law is passed, that could shut down providers who aren’t in compliance, and they want to be on the “winning side”? But otherwise yeah, it makes no sense.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

According to what I’ve read, the key piece of info y’all are lacking is that GoDaddy helped author the SOPA bill and they’re explicitly EXEMPT from it, so really, they don’t give a sh!t about how it affects other ISPs. Of course, after the backlash and the tons of people leaving them in protest, they backtracked and reversed their position.

caradoc
    Participant

According to what I’ve read, the key piece of info y’all are lacking is that GoDaddy helped author the SOPA bill and they’re explicitly EXEMPT from it, so really, they don’t give a sh!t about how it affects other ISPs. Of course, after the backlash and the tons of people leaving them in protest, they backtracked and reversed their position.

For certain values of “y’all,” maybe.

GoDaddy is local to me. I know a lot of people working there. I’m all too aware of how they run their business, and what part they had in creating SOPA.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yeah, that was mostly directed at chup and Kes as they were wondering why GoDaddy would support such a bill. I wondered that myself until I found that key piece of info.

chupathingie
    Participant

So it basically boils down to GoDaddy lobbying to give themselves an unfair market advantage. That’s enough reason for me to never let them see a dime of my money.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Always a good feeling…’ is closed to new replies.