Applying for a photo gig

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Applying for a photo gig

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Analogy
    Participant

A little background, my “day” job is being a professional television cameraman. One of my friends from high school also did the video thing and ended up working for the school district doing all their video stuff, and he calls me up to do video for the graduation ceremony every year. Well, in one of those “you never know where you’ll get your next gig” moments, I talked a little bit of shop with the photographers shooting the ceremony and one of them gave me a card and said the company they were shooting with was looking for more shooters.

So to the point, I’m guessing I’ll need some kind of portfolio to show them. I went through my shots and whipped something up real quick and threw it up here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/stephan.ahonen/Portfolio

I’m mostly focusing on my event photography stuff since that’s the sort of thing I would be doing, but I’m also showing a little bit of my overall range. Do you guys think this will work?

Curious
    Participant

you were shooting for the school district? a historical type of thing? and the still guys were shooting for the hope of selling stills to the grads families? or were they “on assignment” and/or contracted by the families?

the reason i ask is because your examples are fine for jr. getting their diploma but lack a sense of the overall event. i’d bet your video has the overall look also. is there any chance of getting frames from your video?

if it’s not clear what i’m thinking is something akin to wedding shots. which incidentally is another area that employs contract photographers. or did in this area ten years ago.

Analogy
    Participant

The video was for live cable broadcast and projection screens in the house, not what you’re thinking of. The photogs were from a company contracted by the school to get pictures for all the grads.

I kinda see what you mean about needing to see more “this is my one special day” style coverage than what I have, but I don’t really think any of the events I’ve shot have really lent themselves to that. My bass player is getting married in a couple weeks and they’ve roped me into shooting that, though, so maybe soon.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Applying for a photo gig’ is closed to new replies.