Back from vacation….

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Back from vacation….

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

Those are very cool. Is there a wee bit of hdr going on? if so it is not the over done variety.

orionid
    Participant

Epic.

I do have two questions. What program do you use for stitching? Also do you stich then tonemap or tonemap then stitch?

In my mind the first would work better, but photomatix flips out and won’t tonemap if the pixel dimensions are different. I’ve done the second way, but I always get leary that even with the same settings, output between stitch elements might be different enough to notice the stitching.

Kestrana
    Participant

*cough* Honey: http://www.farktography.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2740

See also 3rd post in this thread.

orionid
    Participant

*cough* Honey: http://www.farktography.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2740

See also 3rd post in this thread.

D’oh. Correction: One question.

chupathingie
    Participant

Hahahah…I needed a laugh today… been one hell of a week. And thanks for the comments, all… praise from this group of future masters means a lot.

Orionid, I agree totally with the idea of stitching then tonemapping, but there are a lot of reasons why I take the reverse route. Qtpfsgui balks at very large images and introduces some seriously ugly artifacts (Krita has tonemapping filters, but I have yet to play with them). Also I’d have to stitch 3 sets of images of differing exposures in Hugin, and there’s no guarantee they’d stitch the same each time. So I stack the 16-bit/channel tiff sets through the tonemapper first, then run the resulting 8-bit images through hugin for stitching.

And regarding the other comments about HDR, yes they are, and yes it’s subtle (or at least I try to keep it that way). I’d actually like to tone it down a little more, but the options are a bit limited. I love the look of HDR, and some images really look good with heavier tonemapping but for myself, I just want to bring out details and contrast over a wide dynamic range without the usual LDR trade-off (ie shadow detail at the expense of highlight detail etc.). Tonemapping manages to do things that levels and curves won’t.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘Back from vacation….’ is closed to new replies.