Back from vacation….

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Back from vacation….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    chupathingie
    Participant

…and it’s weird to see the horizon after 2 weeks of snow-capped mountains.

Between getting the jeep stuck and almost having to walk out of the mountains in Idaho and getting chased off by a moose, I managed to take almost 25G of images. Now comes the processing, most of the data is destined for panoramas. This one ate my laptop for lunch (crashed it twice…only 4gig of ram). More as I find time to stitch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44012674@N04/5586469023/sizes/l/

The “Original” size here is about 20% of the full image rez I managed for print. I can’t wait to see how the series from Black Canyon stitch together. What a view, 2250 feet straight down a sheer rock wall to the river below! It was vertigo-inducing. I didn’t have time to stick around and snap pics of the 2 climbers who were scoping the place out for a descent, they were planning on going over the ledge the next day.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

That’s a great pano-really cool location. What software do you use for stitching panoramas? I’ve never found anything that works well consistently.

chupathingie
    Participant

Thanks! 🙂

I’ve been using Hugin’s Panorama Creator in Ubuntu 10.10 (it has windows and mac ports as well). Most panoramas I feed through it need no intervention as long as the source images are in a single line. Multiple rows of images have always required me to add control points manually, which has become surprisingly quick now that I’m used to the interface. It will also handle large files, the 16-bit full-rez .exr version of that image was over 3gig.

orionid
    Participant

Speechless. Wow.

Curious
    Participant

WOW is certainly the word.

olavf
    Participant

awesome!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Very cool, chup. Also looking forward to seeing the Black Canyon series.

chupathingie
    Participant

You folks are a real ego boost! 😆 Thanks!
    Hopefully I’ll have some energy to do things tonight with a few images, but this is the first break I’ve had since 5AM today. I’m in my 12th hr at work. Ugh.

olavf
    Participant

I’ve got the day off, but I’ve also got over 600 pictures to go through from the weekend. And then resize and album-ize. I hear ya.

ravnostic
    Participant

Excellent scene chupa. Really very nice!

kashari
    Participant

Holy smokes, that’s awesome! I haven’t tried any stitched panos yet, but maybe one of these days.

chupathingie
    Participant

Black Canyon of the Gunnison:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/44012674@N04/5594461960/sizes/l/

I had to crop a lot of the foreground out, sadly. I really should buy myself a proper panohead if I’m going to continue doing panoramic landscapes.

chupathingie
    Participant

One more, and off to bed…
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/44012674@N04/5594506582/sizes/l/

Single frame, 3 exposures. That’s 2250 feet of solid unbroken vertical stone between the rim and the river.

ravnostic
    Participant

Wow. These are really nice. I like that they look much like what you see when you visit such places–but can never quite capture in a photograph–except, of course, you did. Very subtle HDRing paid off here. The realism–and yet, the surrealism–is awesome.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Wow. That first one is, and I don’t use this word lightly, stunning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘Back from vacation….’ is closed to new replies.