Barracuda’s keepers – photos that I let other people see

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Barracuda’s keepers – photos that I let other people see

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Barracuda
    Participant

Figured I might as well throw my hat in the ring of “this is how good I am, let’s hope I can get better” gallery threads. I’ve toyed with photography here and there a bit, always enjoyed it, but never really took it up as a ‘hobby’ of any sort. Suspect that may be changing. Bought a Canon S90 of a coworker to help him fund a new Nikon D7000, and now just picked up a lightly used Canon XSi as well as a 55-200mm lens.

Farktopgraphy – Picasa – My current / past Farktopgraphy entries

4/22: After the last few outings to the parks around town, I was getting far too many pictures in my “Parks & Nature” album, so split them up between Landscapes, wildlife and floral. Link below is to the album list, which is probably easier than just linking all the albums.

Picasa Public albums

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Some pretty good stuff in there, ‘Cuda. You seem to have a pretty good eye.

Didn’t I read that you do software, too? Good to have another code warrior around. What’s your platform?

Barracuda
    Participant

Yeah, I’m a software guy. Day job is ASP.NET / SQL2005. My other main hobby is cycling, and run a fairly large vintage cycling website: VeloBase.com which is an online database of vintage cycling components and other information for reference purposes. It’s also ASP.NET / SQL, and was started as a training exercise for me while I was still on the old VB6 product at work.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Yeah, I’m a software guy. Day job is ASP.NET / SQL2005. My other main hobby is cycling, and run a fairly large vintage cycling website: VeloBase.com which is an online database of vintage cycling components and other information for reference purposes. It’s also ASP.NET / SQL, and was started as a training exercise for me while I was still on the old VB6 product at work.

Cudos ‘Cuda on the site velobase. I have used it in the past when researching older mountain bikes

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Agreed, that’s a nice website. Did you start with a CMS or is that built from scratch? It’s pretty responsive – who do you use for ASP.NET hosting?

I do non-web .NET dev, C#, SQL whatever (express/2005/2008). My BiblioStats site is my first real foray into web dev. I enjoy working with it; wish I had more time to play.

Yeah, VB6… I do everything in C# now, but it was the shiznit for UI back in the day. I used to do C,C++ with VB3/4/5/6 for UI apps. Even used VB1 for DOS for one project many moons ago.

Barracuda
    Participant

VeloBase is 99.9% scratch built. Aside a few libraries and 3rd party controls (jquery, uploader, etc), it’s all my code on top of the .NET framework. There’s a ton of custom relationships and such in the system. I’ve considered trying to build a generic version of the site to market as a CMS, but there’s already enough of those out there. Hosting is with GoDaddy, recently upgraded to their ‘4G’ or what ever they call it hosting. IIS7, probably virtual servers, but it’s load balanced at some level. I have a logging function that tracks when the application is started, and usually see 4-5 of those entries at a time so I’m guessing that’s the size farm my app is running on currently. Not bad for less than $10 a month (running the ‘Deluxe’ level, unlimited bandwidth).

It’s a beautiful but windy day here in Dallas, so headed to the park with the camera since I didn’t get a ride in this morning, trying to do something that could be considered exercise.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Interesting, that’s what I use, too (GoDaddy 4G). I’ve got a render timestamp on my pages that shows the execution time for each request and it’s never more than about 115ms and usually less than 50ms, so that part is good, but the request queue seems to get backed up frequently.

orionid
    Participant

Figured I might as well throw my hat in the ring of “this is how good I am, let’s hope I can get better” gallery threads. I’ve toyed with photography here and there a bit, always enjoyed it, but never really took it up as a ‘hobby’ of any sort. Suspect that may be changing. Bought a Canon S90 of a coworker to help him fund a new Nikon D7000, and now just picked up a lightly used Canon XSi as well as a 55-200mm lens.

Canon Photos – Picasa – photos that were not taken on vacation, etc, taken with one of the two new cameras. General mis-mash of subjects and such.

Photograhy – older – a few select photos I found in the archives from some of the old digital P&S’s I’ve had.

Tahoe 2011 – obviously not all photos in this album are for photography’s sake, but a fair percentage of them are.

Nice stuff so far. I would have opened up the aperture to blur out the background on that old chevy truck, but that’s just me.

Barracuda
    Participant

I agree on the truck orionid, however I had it wide open (or as wide as the kit lens would allow). I think part of it is that the focus got on the tree just behind the truck, thus throwing things off a tad. If I ever pick up a 50mm prime I’ll have to go back and reshoot that. Also when my new tripod comes in, that’ll help any future night photography jaunts around town. Going through today’s photos right now, so the Canon Photos album will likely be updated with some new stuff here shortly.

Malivon
    Participant

Your picture of the turtles is amusing.

Needs moar lizards!

I love the one with the post and winter surrounding it like a freakin pack of wolves too.

Barracuda
    Participant

Thanks Malivon. The one stained direction post among the winter gray was one of those “came out just how it looked” kind of shots.

Barracuda
    Participant

Had to go dig this one up, as it’s about the only picture I’ve ever taken with people in it that I ever thought was half way worth a darn. Taken with Mishu’s (foreground) nikon DSLR – no idea what model, it was a few years ago.

Barracuda
    Participant

One of my favorites from a recent update to the “Parks & Nature” album linked in the original post. Yes, more than a little modification in Lightroom on this one. The original was quite uninspiring.

Barracuda
    Participant

Finally a few evenings with nice sunsets, and I’m out doing my “other” hobby, but did remember to bring my Canon SD1000 to get a few photos. Some help from lightroom at least made for some interesting results.

Barracuda
    Participant

Been adding a lot of new stuff to my Picasa albums, thinking about opening a SmugMug account specifically for the “really good” shots and keeping Picasa around for hosting Farktopgraphy entries, family photos, etc.

Most of the new stuff is here: Parks & Nature

And a few of my favorites:

Sunset at Bethany Lakes Park, Allen TX

Nectarine blossom, my back yard, Allen TX

Farmland at dusk, Allen TX

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • The topic ‘Barracuda’s keepers – photos that I let other people see’ is closed to new replies.