Best or worst ?5.- I spent today?

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Best or worst ?5.- I spent today?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Uranus
    Participant

…on a 1950’s Agfa Isolette. Looks almost new, although the shutter tends to stick.
    Bellows are in good nick.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3635/3488672663_0af77f001f_b.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3621/3488672023_56b79ce5ab_b.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3402/3488671377_b9e47500f7_b.jpg

Also, anyone have any idea if there’s still film available?

nobigdeal
    Participant

cool!!
    even if you cant get film anymore I would have stll spent the money

olavf
    Participant

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?AgfaIsolette.html~mainFrame

Looks like it takes 120 film. B&H photo and a host of other places sell that. You can even buy stuff on Amazon, in color or B&W.

B&H also sells mailers for processing. ~$17USD, and I’d assume someplace across the pond does the same.
    /Been researching 120 film for the Brownie I bought the other weekend.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

SWEET! It looks awesome! I was recently gifted a kinda rough looking German 35mm folding camera that appears to be in decent working order (other than slower shutter speeds; faster ones above 1/10 seem fine), and it’s been a lot of fun to shoot (still working on a roll..we’ll see how it turns out!). That Isolette sure is pretty. If it’s in working order and you only spent ?5, I’d call that a win.

It probably doesn’t have a meter, so you’ll want one of those, or to use another camera as a meter (though you’ll need to watch what lens you use, since IIRC metering is based on a particular angle of view…the Isolette has a “normal” lens for medium format, which is about the same as 50mm in full frame 35mm or ~35mm lens on a crop factor DSLR). Not sure if it has a coupled rangefinder; if it doesn’t, you’ll need to judge focus based on distance. You can almost certainly find a manual for it online if it didn’t come with one.

Sweet find–enjoy it!

soosh
    Participant

That’s awesome. I’ve wanted one of those folders for a long time. Here are some of my collection of antique cameras. Some work, some don’t, but I just love to look at them:

I buy my 120 film from B&H, or look for lots of expired film on ebay. I really love working with expired film, as you never know precisely what you’re going to get. If you have a scanner, try to find a local lab that will just process and not print the film. You’ll save a bundle, and then can scan it and print it yourself.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I buy my 120 film from B&H, or look for lots of expired film on ebay. I really love working with expired film, as you never know precisely what you’re going to get. If you have a scanner, try to find a local lab that will just process and not print the film. You’ll save a bundle, and then can scan it and print it yourself.

You can also just buy your own developing equipment and chemistry. It;s not very expensive and 120 B&W film is pretty easy to develop.

soosh
    Participant

True. I pretty much only shoot color 120. I haven’t looked into what it would cost me to get the setup to process that.

nobigdeal
    Participant

True. I pretty much only shoot color 120. I haven’t looked into what it would cost me to get the setup to process that.

I have 5 rolls of 120 that I developed a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately my scanner shit the bed when I went to scan them. 🙁

Saving up for new scanner now.

olavf
    Participant

I already promised the wife I’d be doing no such thing. Besides, the garage is half-full of my mini-studio already…

staplermofo
    Participant

What else did you spend ?5 on that day?

Uranus
    Participant

What else did you spend ?5 on that day?

it was the queen’s birthday, a day on which holland traditionally becomes a huge flea-market of stuff from people’s attics…

seeing holland is famous for weed and pr0n, you can imagine that it was way more than ?5.-

Uranus
    Participant

so….shutter leaves back in the right order, and hey presto! works ! got some film today, so it’s time to take it out for a road test.

considering my shaky hands, and complete lack of experience, this may take a while and will undoubtedly involve some spectacular FAIL.
    will post pics in the gallery.

wish me luck…

olavf
    Participant

good luck man! look forward to seeing the results.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Best or worst ?5.- I spent today?’ is closed to new replies.