Camera upgrade – Canon style

Forums Forums Get Technical Farktography tech talk Camera upgrade – Canon style

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    FutherMucker
    Participant

Maybe someday they’ll add a mode 2 for panning. That would be pretty nifty.

soosh
    Participant

my 100-400 has a panning mode, but honestly I’ve never really tried it.

FutherMucker
    Participant

My 70-200 f/2.8 L had it too, and it was very helpful while trying to shoot RC boats at a local pond. I say “trying” because those little suckers were difficult to track…I recently sold that lens because it was just too heavy to lug around for an all day outing..Great lens, but it rarely left the house…Good thing about L glass, they hold their value..I even made a slight profit as a result of the handsome rebate I got.

Analogy
    Participant

Sure….But several of my lenses would GREATLY benefit from an IS body:

To name a few: 100mm f2.8 macro, Tokina 12-24mm, Peleng 8mm Fisheye, 500mm mirror & MP-E 65mm macro.

Canon puts their IS in their lenses, so the body doesn’t need it. It’s not gonna happen, ever. That would require a major change in design philosophy.

As for IS on a Macro, sorry, IS doesn’t work that way. IS can only correct shake that affects the pan and tilt of the camera. For most pictures this is fine. At macro ranges however, lateral shake, which IS does not correct because gyroscopes don’t detect it, is a major factor.

As for IS on the Peleng, dear god, how much do your hands shake? It’s a circular fisheye, it’s practically impossible.

Indeed, the next full frame camera from Canon will mimic the 40D, but if fps isn’t an issue, why splurge for that ?…..It’s really just HYPE…Yes ?..For all we know, the next Rebel will give us all that + 5fps.

Read the list of features some time, the 40D added far more than just FPS. Integrated sensor cleaning and highlight tone priority are the two big ones, along with better AF, a 14 bit A/D, and cleaner high ISOs.

The new rebel has been announced at 3.5 fps. Remember that we’re talking about an entry level SLR here. The people that buy Rebels either can’t afford anything better or are the type of people who don’t look further than the front of the box when comparing features, so superficial stats like the number of megapixels are what get upgraded first when Canon decides to make a new camera. Features that actual photographers care about go into the higher level cameras.

FutherMucker
    Participant

They way I see the reviews of Canon & Nikon stating “still no in camera IS” leads me to believe that something may be in the works.

The Peleng would benefit a great deal from IS in low light situations where longer shutter speeds are needed.

My Nikon buddy has the 105mm VR Micro….The AF isn’t so hot, but the VR is VERY effective, and there are times when I wish my 100mm had it.

Yes, the newest Rebel is 3.5fps…I was looking ahead to the next Rebel. They seem to be really packing in the features with every new model….As for the 40D, I have done quite a bit of research since it was first announced, and I’m aware of the other new features…I guess I was referring to the 5D with the low fps it has….I dunno’…It was late, and I was rambling blah blah again…Thank you for pointing that out.
    8)

Analogy
    Participant

They way I see the reviews of Canon & Nikon stating “still no in camera IS” leads me to believe that something may be in the works.

They’re probably just disappointed that Nikon and Canon went a different route with their IS than Pentax. Nikon and Canon are gigantic corporations, I highly doubt that they are ever going to come out and say “hang on! We’ve been doing IS the wrong way this whole time!”

My prediction is that if they do want to create a way to add IS to non-IS lenses, they will release an “IS adapter” that fits between lens and body like an extender. You will probably see a slight increase in focal length as a result.

The Peleng would benefit a great deal from IS in low light situations where longer shutter speeds are needed.

I just thought about this and realized that IS wouldn’t work on a fisheye anyway, at least not the sensor-shifting style. Think about it, how is the image transformed when you rotate the camera? Because of all the barrel distortion, different parts of the frame move in different ways. A simple sensor shift can’t compensate for that.

FutherMucker
    Participant

I’m not certain, but I think you’ve just made a very valid point about the fisheye..In my excitement, that thought never even crossed my mind….This “IS Adapter” sounds brilliant…Does anything like it exist yet?

Analogy
    Participant

Does anything like it exist yet?

Fujinon makes two models aimed at broadcast video lenses. One for handheld cameras and one for large studio style cameras.

savvymercury
    Participant

I like the Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5. Beyond that…I don’t know.

if it helps your decision any, i really love my canon 10-22. it’s kinda pricey, but imho it’s worth the money. like you, i spent a lot of time researching it before i purchased. i have yet to be disappointed in it.

GregScott
    Participant

Going to a full frame sensor and more megapixels is the main step, but really not necessary in most cases unless you like very large prints. I’m perhaps an exception since I do hummingbird photograph with a “static” prefocused setup on a tripod. Since I can’t frame the photo live, it really helps to get more shots at a good resolution without half a bird in the frame to have a larger sensor.

A full frame sensor will also allow your wide angle lenses to function as if they were “wider”.

If you do flash photography it’s good to have several flashes so you can have slaves, and get better lighting.

A lot of photographers like to buy prime lenses when they can afford it.

Pehaps most important of all is to spend time taking photos, keeping notes, and evaluating your work. Taking a laptop into the field with you so you can evaluate your work is very helpful.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The topic ‘Camera upgrade – Canon style’ is closed to new replies.