Canon 10-22mm lens

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Canon 10-22mm lens

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Analogy
    Participant

It just arrived from B&H. The verdict?

TWO THUMBS UP
    (the other thumb is on the hand holding the camera)

This shot is with the camera about a foot from my face. Incredible FOV, and razor sharp.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oh man, I’ve heard that’s a sweet, sweet lens. Congrats!

Analogy
    Participant

Wow, quick response. Do you live in the forums Elsinore? =D

It is indeed sweet from what little I’ve played with it so far. I’m already seeing huge possibilities for the field of view this thing gives me. I can already see it being a great architecture lens, very straight lines (they’re slightly bent in the picture due to a setting I used in post). Maybe I should call up some realtors and see if they need someone to photograph houses, heh.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol nah, I just happen to be up far too late and bored. Though judging from my post count, one might think I live here 😆 Should go to bed, but I have a performance tomorrow and I’m a little amped up I think.

I didn’t realize the 10-22 produced such straight lines. I’ve thought about that lens a lot, but at some point I want to get a full frame, and the 10-22 is an EF-S, which of course won’t work for full frame. I’ve also considered the Tokina 12-24. which will mount a full frame, though doesn’t give full image circle coverage until like 18mm. But man, I’ve seen some awesome stuff out of that 10-22. Everything I’ve read has said its build and optical quality is L-series, but that it just doesn’t get the designation due to being an EF-S. Enjoy your new toy 🙂

Analogy
    Participant

Performance for what, might I ask?

Yup, the lines are very straight, just a little bent at 10, and just about perfect at 14 and up. Using software I can get them perfect at all focal lengths.

If you get a superwide like the 10-22 or 12-24 and wind up getting a full frame, you’ve got a couple options. First is to keep your 30D and bring it out whenever you want to take a wide angle photo. Second is to basically use the 12-24 as a prime lens on your full frame, since 18mm on a full frame looks almost as wide as 10mm on a 30D.

What would throw me off about the Tokina is the backwards zoom twist. I know it seems silly but the Canon and Fujinon lenses I’ve use on video cameras for many years now zoom in when you twist counter-clockwise, and Canon still lenses do the same. Everyone else, however, zooms in when you twist clockwise, and that throws me off really really bad. It’s hard to break force of habit. =(

schnee
    Participant

Photography for Realestate. It’s got some good design advice.

Curious
    Participant

Photography for Realestate. It’s got some good design advice.

that’s an interesting read. it also reminds us of the RL problems people encounter with the spread of digital imaging.

i found this part a bit humorous given their history. As a related note: Reuters, Adobe and Canon are working on technology that will detect doctored photos.

and that’s one sweet lens Analogy

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Performance for what, might I ask?

Middle Eastern dance

If you get a superwide like the 10-22 or 12-24 and wind up getting a full frame, you’ve got a couple options. First is to keep your 30D and bring it out whenever you want to take a wide angle photo.

Yeah, I’d considered that, though part of the reason I want a full frame is to have wide angles be wide angles.

Second is to basically use the 12-24 as a prime lens on your full frame, since 18mm on a full frame looks almost as wide as 10mm on a 30D.

Well, it would still have some zoom left between 16 or 18 and 24, so that’s not too bad. The Tokina scores well optically, but then the 10-22 has another 2 mm on the wide end (though of course loses it on the long end)

What would throw me off about the Tokina is the backwards zoom twist. I know it seems silly but the Canon and Fujinon lenses I’ve use on video cameras for many years now zoom in when you twist counter-clockwise, and Canon still lenses do the same. Everyone else, however, zooms in when you twist clockwise, and that throws me off really really bad. It’s hard to break force of habit. =(

See now, my primary lens is a Tamron 28-75, and it zooms “backwards”, so that wouldn’t throw me. It does throw me for a bit to mount my Canon 75-300, though 😆

Analogy
    Participant

I love this lens already.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

mmmmmmmmm superwide!

monkeybort
    Participant

what’s the aperture range on that bad boy analogy?

Klahanie
    Participant

I love this lens already.

Awesome!

Analogy
    Participant

what’s the aperture range on that bad boy analogy?

f/3.5-f/4.5. I kinda wish it had the f/2.8 like its close cousin the 16-35mm, which has the same field of view on FF cameras (even uses the same hood). A huge aperture isn’t too important though since I can get away with handholding this lens at 1/15 shutter:

I mostly want the f/2.8 for freezing action… Even the extra 2/3 stop from 3.5 to 2.8 can make a huge difference.

Awesome!

Thanks, I absolutely love this lens for taking pics of the sky. This lens gives me pics that I used to need stitching software to get. No more!

XenPix
    Participant

That is one super fab lens. I’m going to have to get me one of those, eventually.

*edit*
    OMG, I just looked at the price of it. Damn me and my expensive hobbies. 🙁

Analogy
    Participant

Worth every penny. Trust me on this one. You won’t regret it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • The topic ‘Canon 10-22mm lens’ is closed to new replies.