Canon 10-22mm lens

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Canon 10-22mm lens

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’ve been looking into superwides myself. The Tokina 12-24 gets good reviews, albeit with some chromatic aberration at the corners (chromatic aberration is hard to avoid in superwides, to be fair). Sigma has a couple: the 10-20 which looks like a pretty good lens, the 12-24 which is actually a full frame lens, and the 15-30 which is also full frame. Then there’s the Tamron 11-18, though with such a narrow zoom range, I’m not that interested in that one. Decisions, decisions…

Analogy: those shots are awesome–what a great view on that puppy!

powerplantgirl
    Participant

Oooh I’m so jealous.
    Ima have to get me one of those now!
    You guys make me spend too much money!
    All of your badass shots make me want to try new things…

🙂

monkeybort
    Participant

*expletives*

every freaking shot i see with that lens makes me want it more….and more…..and more.

shit.

ok, first *paying* gig I get, whether it be as a main photog or a 2nd, i’m getting that lens.

Or if i sell 5 framed prints.

now there’s something to work towards!!

XenPix
    Participant

Well, since I just got some dosh in from my wedding shoot, I’m a good way towards it. I’d love to have this for my trip to Brussels in September. The streets are all tight and squidgy, so a 10mm would do sooo much.

Don’t suppose I could be cheeky and ask you to get a couple of shots of buildings or streets so I could see how it deals with architecture and hard lines?

😀

Analogy
    Participant

I’ll see what I can do XenPix. I can tell you right now though that lines are very straight except at the very wide end. 14-22mm is pretty much perfect. 10mm shows very minimal barrel distortion, nothing a little photoshop can’t fix. It’s also got a lot of vignetting at wide-open aperture.

Personally I use DxO Optics Pro so I never see these problems except in the source image. The folks at DxO Labs have measured the distortion, vignetting, CA, etc. characteristics of a ton of lenses and the software can precisely “undo” them, resulting in a (technically) perfect image. It’s also got some fantastic color correction features.

Analogy
    Participant

Okay XenPix, here’s what I’ve come up with:

All three images have gone through identical processing, except the lens correction is different. The original shot was at 10mm, the widest setting on the lens which shows the most distortion, and a wide-open aperture which shows the most vignetting. Basically this is the lens at its “worst.”
    Here’s the lens with no lens correction
    Distortion and vignetting corrected
    Keystoning corrected for a “perfect verticals” sort of architecture photography type shot.

Use your left and right arrow keys to flip between them to see the difference. You’ll see the vignetting is actually more of an issue than the distortion, but it goes away if you stop down to f/5.6, and it’s easily correctable in software anyway.

Hope this helps.

XenPix
    Participant

That’s freaking fantastic!

Thanks Analogy!

I’ll definitely be getting one of those, and soon!

Analogy
    Participant

Glad I could help. Have fun when you get it.

XenPix
    Participant

After all your hard work, Analogy, I decided to get the cheaper Sigma version. The reviews I’ve seen and sample images that were in the reviews didn’t seem worth that extra 200 quid, so I’ve spent the difference on that nifty Kenko extension tube set and some shiny new filters.

I’ve had a heap of sigma lenses with my 35mm, and they were all solid and decent quality, my zoom is a Sigma, and although isn’t as crisp as I would like, for the price, it’s been super value for money.

Unfortunately, I have to do this on a budget until I can get some more income from it, the day job won’t pay for all that and the bills. 🙁

Curious
    Participant

Anology thanks for posting those examples. they were interesting. especially the keystoning one.

Analogy
    Participant

Nah, that’s okay. I would have taken those pictures anyway. =D

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That was pretty interesting, what you can do to correct the distortions and whatnot. I use UFRAW/GIMP and Bibble, and Bibble has distortion correction, though I haven’t had the chance to use it on anything truly distorted. But I will soon get the chance cause I just got my Tokina 12-24mm f/4 in today–Anniversary pressie!

XenPix
    Participant

My Sigma arrived yesterday.

Here’s a couple straight off the camera (no fixing, just reduced – not cropped)

The street I am standing the other side of is one car wide (good old english streets and all that), just to give you an idea.

I managed to bash the cat in the nose with it last night, so she’s once again avoiding the camera like the plague, last time, it was because I had the flash on, she’s so fussy! Should be a super shot of her when I get it though!

Analogy
    Participant

Oh boy, we’re going to be seeing contests full of huge wide angle photos now and it’s all my fault.

sleeping
    Participant

Oh boy, we’re going to be seeing contests full of huge wide angle photos now and it’s all my fault.

You’ve created a monster! 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The topic ‘Canon 10-22mm lens’ is closed to new replies.