Canon vs Windows 7

Forums Forums Get Technical Software Canon vs Windows 7

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Zumaki
    Participant

Canon doesn’t seem to support Windows 7. This makes me very sad 🙁

I’ve sent them an email asking where/when I can get a wia driver for my Rebel XT, and will update this thread when I get a reply… but I googled the issue before I sent the email, and someone else who had this problem back in August said a canon tech told them drivers wouldn’t be out for a few months. Appalling.

olavf
    Participant

Suckage.

But, honest question: what do you link the camera to the compy for? I’ve found for downloading pics, using a card reader is much, much faster (well, comparatively, when you’re trying to get ~400 megs off the card)

Zumaki
    Participant

Response from Canon-

Dear Zumaki:

Thank you for your inquiry. We value you as a Canon customer and
    appreciate the opportunity to assist you. We are sorry to hear of any
    difficulties downloading your images from your Rebel XT.

Regrettably, at this time the Windows 7 64 bit operating system is not a
    currently supported operating system.

Card readers are relatively inexpensive, most electronic stores carry
    them for $25 or less, and these card readers make it much easier to
    download to your computer.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Please let
    me know if we can be of any further assistance with your Canon Rebel XT.

Sincerely,

Ronald
    Technical Support Representative

Zumaki
    Participant

honest question: what do you link the camera to the compy for?

Well, camera came with software + cord, and a card reader costs money (I have a homebuilt computer) so linking up was the fastest option.

I guess it’s time to suck it up and buy one.

olavf
    Participant

ahhhh…. gotcha. you’ll find it a bit faster in the long run though.
    /keep meaning to play with the laptop link more tho.. especially for self-portraits.

chupathingie
    Participant

Remote capture needs the cam tethered to the PC. In some circumstances and in dim light the only way to get good focus is to use the remote live view on a laptop screen (needed that last night, actually).

RcMacStudent
    Participant

Hey Zumaki, not to be snarky – have you tried just plugging it in? I’m a card reader kind of guy myself but after I saw your post I went and plugged in my 30D to my laptop (has Windows 7 x64) and it all worked without installing anything.

Also, I don’t know if it’ll help but Windows 7 x64 supports Vista x64 drivers.

Zumaki
    Participant

yeah I tried that first (forgetting it needs a driver) and 7 told me it didn’t know what to do, and couldn’t find a driver to fit. So I installed the canon driver, and it still doesn’t work. But fun story: I went to the Canon Europe website and they had x64 drivers there that work. Huh.

chupathingie
    Participant

RcMacStudent, your post got me thinking so I tried that with my 5D2 in Ubuntu and it fired right up and read the card in the camera easy as you please.

Zumaki, I’m willing to bet the European sites have drivers because Canon doesn’t have to worry over software patents there and have yet to pay the extortion money… er… I mean hammer out a deal with MS over the drivers for the US market.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Canon vs Windows 7’ is closed to new replies.