Couple of shots from along the road…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Couple of shots from along the road…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

As some of y’all know, Kat and I decided to drive to NasCon (Vegas) last weekend. On the way down, we decided to take the “scenic route” which involved going over the mountains near Lake Tahoe, and then heading South along US395 before cutting east through Death Valley. If anyone ever has the chance, I highly, highly recommend it. We’ll probably do chunks of it again at some point, since we simply didn’t have enough time to see everything.

A couple of my favorite shots:

And the rest of the gallery here (39 some-odd shots)

orionid
    Participant

Amazing. I’m jealous.

chupathingie
    Participant

Beautiful. That blue sky is so deep

olavf
    Participant

orionid, if it’s any consolation, I didn’t really get any shots in Vegas. You and Kes got some phenomenal shots there, so I’m kinda jealous of that 🙂

chupathingie, thanks. The weather couldn’t have been more perfect, and I’d forgotten what the sky looks like away from the cities =P

lokisbong
    Participant

A whole lot of awesome there olavf. I have lived here in the Nevada desert since November and it still blows me away to see how dark blue the sky can be at mid day. And the night sky is a thousand times better if the humidity drops low enough. well at least around here in Tonopah.

ravnostic
    Participant

Nice–I love shack-remnant image. I try to get out on the road and just pick a direction and go every once and a while just to see what pictures I can take. I don’t usually do as well.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Good set, my fave is also the roofless shack. Did you use ND filter to get the blue blue sky?

Kestrana
    Participant

Nevada is really big sky country and there are ruins everywhere from ancient prospecting (also lots of abandoned mines which are no joke). The sky is blue blue blue nearly every day.

Nevada Scenery by kestrana, on Flickr

But I love the empty highway (50?) and the ruined shack too.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Very nice shots all around, olavf. I’m thinking the shack shot would do nicely in Desolation…

orionid
    Participant

olavf, That’s fair. I’ll allow the mutual jealousy. And I’m going to echo the comments about the shack.

olavf
    Participant

Zero– sadly a ND filter is still on my ‘need to get list’. The sky out there is just so blue. I white-balance corrected for ‘daylight’ and tweaked the curves ever so slightly to bring it out a hair more, but that’s basically it.

Glad you guys love the shack. That was one many examples of why non-photographers would hate to ride along with us – It was sitting alongside the road (close to that abandoned ranch in the gallery) so I made Kat stop the car so we could run around and take pics of both. Unfortunately, even though we were in the middle of nowhere, the shack and the ranch were both marked as private property, and there was another place across the street that looked like it was still occupied, so we couldn’t investigate further.

Kestrana, that’s CA-190 through the Panamint Valley (the short way). It’s basically one valley over from Death Valley. If you google ‘Panamint Springs’ it’ll be fairly apparent what the extent of the shot is.

/and yeah, I’m thinking about that one for ‘Desolation’ – I’ve got others for the ‘abandoned’ one 😀
    //and I think I’m set for ‘Mountains’ lol.

soosh
    Participant

Very nice. I get the same kind of blue skies up here when there’s no clouds or haze from forest fires in the Yukon or whatever.

One of these years, I’m going to spend a summer or more with a 4×4 camper van of some sort just driving all over the American West taking photos.

orionid
    Participant

Very nice. I get the same kind of blue skies up here when there’s no clouds or haze from forest fires in the Yukon or whatever.

One of these years, I’m going to spend a summer or more with a 4×4 camper van of some sort just driving all over the American West taking photos.

We’ll wave as we go by in the opposite direction.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

US 395-BEST. HIGHWAY. EVER. My favorite, anyway. I’ve spent many days driving it.

Edit: Great shots, by the way. I noticed, however, that you didn’t have any shots of Mt. Morrison, which is probably the most photogenic mountain on that route. It would have been off to your right some time between Mono lake and Mt. Tom, and it looks like this:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/paQNv-tr_agvWliLz5Ye_A?feat=directlink

Great photos, though. Mt. Tom, especially-it always looks great in its winter garb.

olavf
    Participant

Yeah, the whole road is just all kinds of awesome. If we do it again, we’re going to have to plan on four days, at least. Maybe even make a week of it. We just didn’t have enough time in any given area to appreciate it as much as we wanted to.

I’ll have to look back through my Friday morning pics – we stayed overnight in Mammoth and Morrison is just south of there, and it was on my side of the car…so I probably do. I’m too tired to try and match mountains tonight, and I’m *supposed* to be either finishing my taxes, or deciding what I’m going to enter into the State Fair tonight =P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Couple of shots from along the road…’ is closed to new replies.