December scheduling input!

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Themes December scheduling input!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hey guys,

In looking ahead to December, it looks like the best date for the Holiday Cards theme would be Dec 19, which would leave Dec 26 for the Farkstronomy theme. What do you guys think about December scheduling? We’ve always done a Seasons Greetings theme, but are you guys still interested in doing one? On the one hand, there are a lot of other good themes in the Hopper, but on the other hand, December gets busy and hectic for people, and Seasons Greetings is an easy theme for people to archive dive for if necessary.

Also on the topic of Farkstronomy, we’d originally planned that for December, but will the possible low participation and voting be an issue? Should we wait until January to give people more of a chance to jump in, or do we figure it may be a low participation theme anyway due to the technical nature and go ahead for Dec 26?

fluffybunny
    Participant

My vote is for wait on Farkstronomy and +1 on Season’s Greetings.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

^ I’m with fluffy.

ravnostic
    Participant

I don’t know that waiting on the astronomy thing would help one way or another, really, but if the consensus is to wait I’m good with that as my viewing season got cut short by cold weather and I need more images to stack to get something really contest worthy (I think; can we wait till spring?). I’m over Seasons Greetings, myself, but I know it’s one that people like to do and maybe the farkers are in a holiday mood (and maybe it would put me in the mood)? Maybe a couple more classics besides this time around to clear that bin out a little?

Kestrana
    Participant

I like Seasons Greetings personally but I don’t have any ideas for it yet 😛 so another classic theme that would be conducive to archive diving would also be fine. For Farkstronomy, I can go either way. Usually January is a high participation month, so I’d avoid doing it then in favor of themes that would be more likely to inspire wide liter participation. If there’s a big celestial event in February or March that might be a good time.

ravnostic
    Participant

There are, Kestrana two potentially big-arse comet display later in 2013…which lots of people could catch… one in March, the other late in the year, if we delayed this for another year…

http://www.alamogordonews.com/ci_21649181/two-possible-great-comets-coming-2013

Kestrana
    Participant

Well there’s always going to be SOMETHING upcoming in astronomy, can’t delay forever 😛

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I can see delaying Farkstronomy till Feb or March if orionid doesn’t mind. I feel like we’ve pushed his theme back forever and a day as it is, though, but those are good points about pushing casual-participant friendly themes for January when participation tends to tick up anyway.

Yugoboy
    Participant

I think I skipped Season’s Greetings least year due to a lack of shots, so I’d kinda like to do it this year. As for Farkstronomy, I’m pretty done for the year. Got mine this summer when I had time and was somewhere with dark skies, so I’ll just be going with those. I think you can guess which way I lean.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to end up getting creamed either way (especially in Farkstronomy), but I’m here mostly for the practice (kinda happy with my sunset stitchery this week, though…)

ennuipoet
    Participant

Seeing as I have no dogs in the Farkstronomy hunt (hard to do that when you can’t see the stars) I say push it back to early January when participation is up.

Seasons Greetings is always an easy one for regulars and sporadic posters, run it as usual.

/2 Cents

Yoyo
    Participant

We did have the transit of Venus this year and a solar eclipse, so I don’t know that waiting for comets is necessary. I do like the idea of adding Season’s Greetings.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘December scheduling input!’ is closed to new replies.