Does it show?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Does it show?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    XenPix
    Participant

Hello!

I’ve recently joined pretty much everything (fark, totalfark, here) so that I can participate in these super contests. I’ve been lurking in the general area of Fark for years, but never got around to making an account etc.

Anyway, enough about that, and onto my problem (and no, I don’t need to see the doctor about this one).

I recently purchased a digital SLR, which turned out to have a fault. Unfortunately I’d taken over 500 pics before I spotted it. Thankfully now they have replaced it for me, but for the sport competition I wanted to use one I got last weekend.

In short, could you all take a look at this (not the entry photo, just the one that was most obvious fault-wise to me) and see if the fault is obvious, annoying, etc. I’m not so worried about the votes, but I don’t want to put up things that look a bit poo.

(And the fault isn’t that half the car is missing, either 😉 )

monkeybort
    Participant

mmm…..i don’t see anything weird or out of the ordinary, but i’m always bad at this sort of stuff unless it’s my own images.

and welcome! 😛

staplermofo
    Participant

The photo looks fine to me, but I wouldn’t use the valet at Jersey Farm now.

millera9
    Participant

Uhh, it brackets the focal point of any image with used Bridgestones?

Seriously, I can’t see anything in an image this small. Maybe if we had a high-res version to examine over a long period of time we could find something, but for Farktography I don’t think this will be a problem. If JPEG artifacts and other image warping were a real problem, I wouldn’t get any votes at all. Also, there’s a lot going on in this photo so it’s kinda hard to see anything.

Oh yeah, and welcome!

XenPix
    Participant

I’m probably just being paranoid because *I* know it’s there.

And thanks for the welcomes 🙂

monkeybort
    Participant

ok, so no fair – what is the problem? the suspense is killing me!!!

Analogy
    Participant

It looks to me like he didn’t quite hit the panning speed right on, so the car is a touch blurry. Might just be because I’m not wearing my glasses.

Curious
    Participant

It looks to me like he didn’t quite hit the panning speed right on, so the car is a touch blurry. Might just be because I’m not wearing my glasses.

that’s all i see but you wouldn’t get a new camera for it.

millera9 nailed it. it’s the bridgestones. or the image size as presented. i’ve got two dust spots that i know are there but you wouldn’t see them at this size or in a busy photo.

i’m guessing from XenPix‘s comment that his problem is similar.

XenPix
    Participant

This is 100%

Oh, and I’m a girl, just to clear that up. 😉

Curious
    Participant

sorry about that “his” stuff. i’d actually typed his/her but thought motorsports and deleted the her. oops.

from that it looks like a software issue. like the camera didn’t process the info properly. and if that’s the only place it happened i rather doubt that 99% if folks looking at it would see it. even at 100% or better. there’s just so much else going on in the picture.

but I don’t want to put up things that look a bit poo. these contests aren’t “post your flawless photo” of X, you know. heck if they were i wouldn’t enter. the purpose is to enjoy showing your work. make that sharing your work. and if you look at the voting over time the “winners”* are those that match the theme and/or are funny. technical merit usually ranks third.

*winners in quotes because a)everyone who enters wins in the sharing part b)there are no fabulous prizes.

swampa
    Participant

technical merit usually ranks third.

And thats the way it should be!* 😛

Back to the topic at hand, XenPix does the dSLR you have have a RAW format? If it does try some photos with that and that should tell you if it is the camera or the camera compression software causing the artifact.

* I’m joking, just being an SLR newb, I’m still a long way from being technically correct about things and really enjoy the fact that it isn’t all about technical merit 😀

zeke
    Participant

technical merit usually ranks third.

And thats the way it should be!* 😛

Note the tagline for the site does start with ‘It’s not photography’ 🙂

swampa
    Participant

Note the tagline for the site does start with ‘It’s not photography’ 🙂

But it is photography *head asplodes*

staplermofo
    Participant

But it is photography *head asplodes*

If it really was photography, Captain Jim and idle_hands would be out back beating me with an extension cord while monkeybort and veruca were up front trying to distract you from my anguished screams.

swampa
    Participant

If it really was photography, Captain Jim and idle_hands would be out back beating me with an extension cord while monkeybort and veruca were up front trying to distract you from my anguished screams.

Uhh so what would the the monthly payments and address required to … errr, see this action? 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The topic ‘Does it show?’ is closed to new replies.