Does This Make Me A Bad Person

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Does This Make Me A Bad Person

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

I’ve a pet peeve about lens hoods. Use them, don’t use them, but for god’s sake, if you’re not using them take them off the lens don’t leave them reversed and connected to the lens. It is just a thing I have. Today, I am shooting at the New York Renaissance Fair (awesome by the way, go if you can) when next to me is a woman shooting a Canon 1D with a 70-200 f2.8 IS lens, WITH THE FRAKKIN’ LENS HOOD REVERSED AND CONNECTED! When I see that on a camera, it just makes me think the person is clueless. When see that and the person has a three thousand dollar lens and a five thousand dollar camera, it makes me want to snatch it and run, like people would a beaten puppy or an abused child. I didn’t get close enough to see, but I bet she was shooting with the camera on the little green square! (If 1D’s even have a program mode, I’ve never been close enough to one to know.)

I know this makes me sound like a pretentious a-hole, but wow, does it really chafe my britches.

sleeping
    Participant

You know, if you need to switch lenses in a hurry sometimes that extra second to switch it around could mean missing a shot? I know I’ve done it a few times…

Curious
    Participant

, it makes me want to snatch it and run, like people would a beaten puppy or an abused child.

I know this makes me sound like a pretentious a-hole, but wow, does it really chafe my britches.

love the analogy. i too hate to see tools misused but i’ve been broke so long and seen so many folks taking snapshots with rigs like that it no longer bothers me.

look at it this way. you get better results with less technological equipment. a clear demonstration of skill over throwing money at photography.

she was probably driving a lexus SUV too. some folks just buy the most expensive thing they can with the hope that it is somehow better or will give them a better result.

or they are showing off 🙂

orionid
    Participant

I wear my hood backwards ’cause I’m a gangsta.

caradoc
    Participant

But it makes me chuckle when I see they’ve got a Quantaray UV filter on the end of their $3000 lens.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

For me it depends on the lens and hood. There’s no way I could shoot with my 70-200mm f/4 lens hood on reversed, because the damn thing’s huge and would prevent me from using the manual focus if I needed to. But my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and Tokina 12-24 f/4 hoods aren’t that big, so I often leave them on reversed unless I need them. It doesn’t affect shooting, and like sleeping said, it takes longer to futz with, so why bother if I don’t need to?

ennuipoet
    Participant

I know, I know, and I’ve done the same by leaving the hood on when in a rush. I accept the fact of my pretentiousness, I don’t like it, but I know it’s there. This time, though, really….all of gear and plenty of time to take it off, I was just, well jealous and petty. I’m human, I have emotions damnit!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

😆

Well since she had her 70-200 f/2.8L lens hood reversed, I kinda see the point, since I know how big and interfering that bad boy is.

Kestrana
    Participant

Other than the very large lenses I leave them on and reversed when not in use because they feel so flimsy in my backpack, I don’t want them to get broken clinking around in there with all the other lenses and cameras.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Other than the very large lenses I leave them on and reversed when not in use because they feel so flimsy in my backpack, I don’t want them to get broken clinking around in there with all the other lenses and cameras.

OK, now, there is a reason one might leave them in place like that. I know my first Sigma zoom’s hood seemed more like a Styrofoam coffee cup than a hood. I see many people whose opinion I respect have reasons to leave the hood reversed. I will strive hard not judge people because of it.

Except for the lady in my story. I’m sorry, she was just wrong. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Does This Make Me A Bad Person’ is closed to new replies.