Eclipse

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    corsec67
    Participant

Most of us saw some clouds illuminated(or not) by the moon, so lets share them:
    flickr page

(that was taken with a Tamron 18-250, the rest in the set with a phoenix 500mm f/8 mirror lens)
    And my set of eclipse pictures.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s very nice, corsec!

Taken with a crappy 75-300mm IS and run through noise reduction since it was shot at ISO 3200:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_elsinore/2281271406

corsec67
    Participant

One thing I have to ask, is why did you use ISO 3200? Were you holding the camera?

Your “crappy” 70-300 IS is much better than my mirror lens, which is pretty much the benchmark for bad lenses.

Anyways, you got some amazing pictures. I would have done much better, but there was a constant cloud cover. (location, location, location…, which you had)

Elsinore
    Keymaster

No, I was using a tripod, but I wanted to minimize motion blur from the moon’s movement as much as possible. Some of my earlier shots with part of the moon still illuminated, I used ISO 800. Also, I actually have the 75-300 which is the older generation (first gen IS) of that range of lens. I really want to upgrade to the 70-300 IS.

Is it now painfully obvious that I’m more of a daytime-natural-light-bounced-flash-at-worst kinda gal?

andyofne
    Participant

Just got my camera about a week ago… Digital Rebel XTi at ISO 100, shutter around 250, f9, 75-300 telephoto at 300mm.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyofne/sets/72157603954290387/

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Nice!

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

I was out too.. I only have a powershot a630, but it’s functional enough that I can still get a lot. I was sooooo wishing I had a 500mm lens and a dslr though… over all, I had fun and enjoyed being out and about to watch. Had a few problems with focus, and I suspect I had my aperture set incorrectly, too wide open, but I got some ok shots… nothing too special… 15″ exposure f2.8 iso 80…. which, clearly I should have bumped and lowered the exposure time… oh well. There’s always 2010. Heh.

Nice work Elsinore & Corsec

corsec67
    Participant

I was out too.. I only have a powershot a630, but it’s functional enough that I can still get a lot. I was sooooo wishing I had a 500mm lens and a dslr though… over all, I had fun and enjoyed being out and about to watch. Had a few problems with focus, and I suspect I had my aperture set incorrectly, too wide open, but I got some ok shots… nothing too special… 15″ exposure f2.8 iso 80…. which, clearly I should have bumped and lowered the exposure time… oh well. There’s always 2010. Heh.

…snip…

Nice work Elsinore & Corsec

To me, it looks like your pictures where the moon isn’t totally eclipsed is over-exposed where the moon is concerned. I was using 1/30 sec, f/8, ISO 200 for my pictures of the moon in the direct sunlight. I agree with Elsinore that 15″ is probably too long. I would probably have had to bump up the ISO like crazy during the total eclipse.

I had gone out the night before to make sure that I could take a good picture of the moon. Which I usually can, when there isn’t a crazy layer of clouds in the way. (There I used 1/500 sec, f/8, ISO 200, which I think is amazingly bright.)

Your last picture is pretty good, since the moon wasn’t as bright. But, you can see how much the stars moved in the 15 seconds, and the moon is going to move about that much.

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

yeah, clearly my settings were off kilter. I hadn’t even thought about the ISO change until today… it probably would have changed the pics… plus, like I said, my Av was too wide, so my dof was short, which probably didn’t help…

thanks for the comments.

corsec67
    Participant

yeah, clearly my settings were off kilter. I hadn’t even thought about the ISO change until today… it probably would have changed the pics… plus, like I said, my Av was too wide, so my dof was short, which probably didn’t help…

thanks for the comments.

Yeah, I was very much struggling with DOF, even in my 500mm f/8 lens.

Can your camera do manual focus? I would just focus to infinity, and don’t worry about the aperture or dof, except that you should then expose for the moon, and not the starry sky, which is where the difficulty comes in. Unless of course you have a cool foreground that would benefit from the in-focus moon. But, in general with those smaller sensors you don’t have to worry about DOF nearly as much.

(Hope that helps. Photography is an Art with a bunch of science, and I am kind of good at the science bit.)

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

thanks for the comments.

Yeah, I was very much struggling with DOF, even in my 500mm f/8 lens.

Can your camera do manual focus? I would just focus to infinity, and don’t worry about the aperture or dof, except that you should then expose for the moon, and not the starry sky, which is where the difficulty comes in. Unless of course you have a cool foreground that would benefit from the in-focus moon. But, in general with those smaller sensors you don’t have to worry about DOF nearly as much.

(Hope that helps. Photography is an Art with a bunch of science, and I am kind of good at the science bit.)

yeah, it does have manual focus… I’m not sure it woudl change anything, but I will try it out next time… I’m going to try to take some more pics of the moon next time it’s a full moon and a clear night. I dunno why I didn’t think of manual focus.. probably cause I was freezing my ace off.. 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Eclipse’ is closed to new replies.