European Vacation

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery European Vacation

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I just got back from a nice 2 week European vacation with my wife. We went to Amsterdam, northern France and Paris. I took about 2,200 photos, I would have taken more, except my wife does not always appreciate me taking photos of one thing for 30 minutes.

We saw about 10 museums, a dozen churches, a bunch of rural French towns, a way too many hotel rooms. We also got very lost driving around Antwerp, Belgium.

Part of the trip was very personal for me, some of you saw my post of this in my facebook feed. It’s my great-grandfather’s grave. He was killed in during WW I, just outside Lens.

David Aikin by Craig in TO, on Flickr

We also stopped at the Vimy Ridge Memorial, a massive 125ft high monument to the battle of Vimy Ridge, where Canadian troops first fought as one unit. The battle is considered a seminal moment in Canadian history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_National_Vimy_Memorial

Vimy Ridge by Craig in TO, on Flickr
    The approach to the memorial

The front of the pylons

The view of the battlefield from the monument

The view of the front.

There are a lot more photos, but I got through these ones first. I’ll post more as I go through them.

ravnostic
    Participant

Some nice shots, and a personal moment, to boot. I remember the first time I visited my grandfather’s grave (he died two weeks before I was born) and it was indeed a special moment to know we were so close together, but forever apart.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Sounds like a great time, Pope. Thanks for sharing the photos.

We’re heading to Europe ourselves next month for a Greek island cruise. We’ve never been, so we’re really looking forward to it.

Your photo of your great-grandfather’s grave was especially poignant as my grandfather just passed away last week. He was in WWII. I setup a website for my family to grab all of the photos I had taken of him over the years, as well as some older ones that I had scanned in. This one’s probably my favorite:

That’s him and my grandmother. He had written a note on the back that said, “I wasn’t expecting this one.”

Yugoboy
    Participant

This one’s probably my favorite:

That’s him and my grandmother. He had written a note on the back that said, “I wasn’t expecting this one.”

Dude…. your gramma’s hot!

(Oh, right… nice pix Pope-ster! 😉 )

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Dude…. your gramma’s hot!

Thanks, I’ll be sure to pass that along, Yugoboy. 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘European Vacation’ is closed to new replies.