External flash for Nikon D5000

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware External flash for Nikon D5000

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    zincprincess
    Participant

I am looking to buy an external flash for my Nikon D5000 and have a couple of questions:

Do I need to buy a Nikon brand light?

What are the parameters to compare? For example what’s the difference between the $200 SB-600 and the $400 SB-900?

If it matters, I’m primarily taking pictures of my family – inside and outside. I’m dabbling in more creative photography when I have time.

sleeping
    Participant

You don’t need a nikon flash, but you do need one which is compatible with the Nikon i-ttl system to get automatic flash metering.

The sb600 is less powerful than the 900, and it can’t act as a contoller in a multi flash setup. It also doesn’t zoom as much to cover as many focal lengths. On the plus side, it’s a good deal smaller. I have one myself and it’s been more than adequate for most uses, although more power wouldn’t go amiss occasionally. You can compensate a bit by kicking up the iso a bit in a lot of circumstances, though.

zincprincess
    Participant

Mr. zincprincess told me that he wants an external flash for “our” D5000 as a father’s day gift. Love him. It’s not a bowling bowl with “Homer” on it but it is close. Having bought it, I’m not sure that I can wait until Sunday to play with it. I guess I’m supposed to let him have a go with it first, right?

olavf
    Participant

I disagree. It’s your wifely duty to take it out of the box and make sure it’s fully functional before you give him such a gift…

😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘External flash for Nikon D5000’ is closed to new replies.