farktography website

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    veruca
    Participant

Very quick and very dirty update to the FSM to help us in our time of need. Go see what else happens.

aw schnee, you are the bestest. 8)

Klahanie
    Participant

Awesome folks. No hug smiley either Elsinore or I’d be giving you one too! 😀

edit: …and by too, I mean in addition to schnee. Thanks you guys!

idle_hands
    Participant

awesome schnee!

brian
    Participant

from what i’ve been able to gather, there was a big fight and the hot-headed guy who had been building the site deleted it in a fit of angst.

i’ve built hundreds of websites, and worked with a variety of content management systems, esp in php/mysql. i could set something up for you guys pretty quickly. i love design and photography, and it looks like you guys could use a hand. hosting it would be pretty easy for me as well, but it would appear that you guys already have a good hosting situation.

btw, i’m the fellow who designed the farktography icon used on fark, for whatever thats worth.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

*smile*hug*raucus rounds of “Kumbaya”* GW 🙂

1TBat10000RPM: That icon RAWKS!!

idle_hands
    Participant

i’ve built hundreds of websites, and worked with a variety of content management systems, esp in php/mysql. i could set something up for you guys pretty quickly. i love design and photography, and it looks like you guys could use a hand. hosting it would be pretty easy for me as well, but it would appear that you guys already have a good hosting situation.

btw, i’m the fellow who designed the farktography icon used on fark, for whatever thats worth.

you’re right, we sure could use a hand, veruca is working on a solution right now. maybe contact her? see what she needs?

thanks so much!

schnee
    Participant

If you’d like to collaborate on the lower-level details, I’d be happy to help out. I could probably expose some WebService APIs for you to automagically get things like the list of contests, top entries in a contest, that sort of thing. The FSM already has the data. If you’d simply like a CSV list of whatever to populate your tables, I could run a couple of queries and shoot them off to you.

And by “WebService APIs”, I don’t mean WSDL and SOAP and all that junk. That stuff is way too verbose for most things.

(FSM is implemented in Java and MySQL)

brian
    Participant

integrating the fsm code makse so much sense. i could design it to flow smoothly, cohesively, so people could browse past contests, stats, upcoming contests, forums, etc with a minimum of weekly time wasted on maintainence. i am more of a designer than a coder, but i’ve been working with a variety of code for years and can find my way around.

i know you guys just got burned but the brunt of your problems could have been solved with one simple word: backups. so, aside from the fact that i am not a hothead and would never delete the site no matter what went down, we can have a few members keep separate backups, updated every week or so, and not ever have to worry about one person wiping everything out.

with that taken care of, there is no reason to design defensively. i like to automate everything i possibly can, because i hate boring maintainence work. hopefully we can get some solid code in place that makes updating design MUCH simpler (ie template EVERYTHING) and gives us all kinds of fun ways to look at our photos and stats. then when we have time to put into the site we can build more enhancements rather than wasting all that time on maintainence and manual updates.

but i’m new here and i don’t want to come off as too pushy. does this sound good to you guys?

brian
    Participant

oh, also, i almost forgot. this domain name expires in a couple weeks. is anyone on that? and who is hosting everything?

veruca
    Participant

i know you guys just got burned but the brunt of your problems could have been solved with one simple word: backups.

it wasn’t the backups, it was ownership. or what has become my favorite saying again this weekend: someone took their ball and went home.

with that taken care of, there is no reason to design defensively. i like to automate everything i possibly can, because i hate boring maintainence work. hopefully we can get some solid code in place that makes updating design MUCH simpler (ie template EVERYTHING) and gives us all kinds of fun ways to look at our photos and stats. then when we have time to put into the site we can build more enhancements rather than wasting all that time on maintainence and manual updates.

but i’m new here and i don’t want to come off as too pushy. does this sound good to you guys?

if on thrusday night after the contests i can update the site in a relatively easy manner, and if you keep the rest of us informed on the changes to the site as you guys go and are open to input(!!), then i have no problem with integration and extra features.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Wow, sounds like 1TBat10000RPM has made quick progress. Onward and upward!

mikemikeb
    Participant

from what i’ve been able to gather, there was a big fight and the hot-headed guy who had been building the site deleted it in a fit of angst.

If this is true, could we please know who did this?

Also, is it possible to go back to the Farktography.com address with the site rebuild? If so, what are the chances of it happening?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The topic ‘farktography website’ is closed to new replies.