Finally got a round ‘tuit’

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Finally got a round ‘tuit’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

It’s nothing compared to CISS‘s work.

But the html and CSS coding are correct, I think. Or at least all the links work.
    😀
    There might be one shot in here that contest regulars haven’t already seen. My first website since I started picking up CSS coding. Lots more work to go, yet.

http://www.ravnostic.com

Farktographer
    Participant

Finally, all my Rav favorites in one convenient location :mrgreen:

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Good job, rav! It’s nice that you added descriptions to all of them. That’s something I’d like to do eventually, but it gets less likely with each shot I take. 🙂

BTW, if you ever need an online reference for HTML & CSS, I highly recommend W3 Schools. They have both step-by-step tutorials and indexed references for HTML, CSS, and Javascript. I’ve found it invaluable.

ravnostic
    Participant

Thanks Farktographer and CISS

CISS; I had already decided it I was going to do this, to start out with the basics of what I wanted and implement them early–so I didn’t have to play catchup later. I did use w3schools; I’ve used them for HTML for years. I have a book on CSS that I referenced, but it’s basic, and 5 years old, so I found myself searching the CSS portion of W3 while building.

I’m going to do a few changes (mostly related to file sizes, but linkages, etc, as well) before going much further, but I’ll want to link my blog in at some point (which has been live for years, but rarely used–another thing I want to get back into), pick up on Javascript (just found out my company offers classes on that!–for FREE!!), etc., etc., etc. Also noticed that here at work their older IE browsers aren’t formating the CSS properly. I’m going to continue focusing on the latest brower protocols; there’s some stuff I haven’t done yet that I’ll need to do to get the site ‘certified’ as ‘proper’. Work, work, work! But now that OT is gone–I’ll have time. If I can keep from getting behind my lenses too often. 🙂

I’ll need a more abundant supply of round tuits. 😉

ravnostic
    Participant

They’re heeere….

I went to matshopdotcom and ordered an assortment of mattes:

5 12x16s (8×10 photo size)
    6 5x21s (3x 3×4.5)
    25 6x6s in black (4×4)
    25 6x6s in asst. (4×4)
    20 7.5×13.5 (4×10 panos), textured grey
    20 7×9 (5×7) textured black (it’s wrong side up in the photo-oops)

all for $70, which I thought was a good price. I got as wide an assortment as I could buy on ‘clearance’.

Now I just need to take pictures good enough to put into them!! (Okay, I have a few planned). I figure to rent a booth at the rainbow festival this year and see what happens. That chart thingy in the pub thread? This is where I either follow the dotted line up, or drop down to “I suck”. 😛

Farktographer
    Participant

Good luck!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Do let us know how it turns out for you, rav. When’s the festival? And echoing Farktographer – Good luck!

ravnostic
    Participant

The Rainbow Festival is kind of like a gay pride festival, only with artisans selling wares instead of police agencies from around the nation hawking jobs, and local talent manning the stages, instead of 80’s has-been performers overcharging so as to be listed, just one more time, as a ‘headliner’. In short, it’s for the people.

This year it’s October 1st and 2nd. It’s held in downtown’s Heritage Square, a uniquely preserved part of Phoenix’s past, and right off the light rail line, but also with 15K local parking spaces.

http://www.rainbowsfestival.com/

Costs about $450 to rent a space, but it’s a two-day festival (8 hours per day) and last year over 25K attended. I’ll be pricing to break even if I sell 1/4 of what I plan to bring (I’ll be investing around $1000 total). Which means, of course, I may not break even (I’ve heard stories from other photogs, so I’m not getting my hopes up.) But if I don’t try, put myself out there, I’ll never know.

We’ll see! I’m excited…I’m scared…I’m working hard on putting this together. Next paycheck, mid August, I’ll have the funds for the booth (deadline is Sept 1st or it costs $200 more). I got a great deal on foamboard from the dollar store (for backing in the matte packaging, so things don’t get bent)–10 20×30 boards at a buck a pop (1/3 of the Michael’s craft price). I may need more. I’m trying to get everything as cheaply as I can, but will be spending a full $3-400 on the prints, top-o-the-line-quality only on those. Most everything will be smallish, but I’ll take orders for larger sized items. That should keep my expenses down, as I have no idea what people will want larger prints of so to invest in that kind of cost is premature until I can determine interest levels.

Well wishes are appreciated!!! TYVM!!

olavf
    Participant

Bring a crapload of business cards, and you know what seems to move around here – based on what I see people buying from the folks doing local events? Postcards at $3-$5 a pop.

ravnostic
    Participant

Bring a crapload of business cards, and you know what seems to move around here – based on what I see people buying from the folks doing local events? Postcards at $3-$5 a pop.

Got the business card thing covered. Most pressing is getting a vendor license from the city, though (on the agenda, next ‘weekend’, which is to say Monday & Tuesday as Sunday is right out.)

My focus will be two-fold. 1) Local scenes (desert shots, etc.) to appeal to the out-of-towners, as though I think it’s ‘boring’ because I see it every day, I’ve been told most beginning photographers do best with their local surroundings and 2) The stuff that’s done best in the contests–which, in many cases, is the same thing–my 1st place from “Weather”, the 4th place Superstition panorama from “Volcanos, etc”, my 3rd place shot from “Stars” (photoshopping that damned plane out, though), the 4th place in “15 minutes”.

I’ve spent a portion of this evening pricing things out with the local quality print shop. For the 161 mattes I have, I’m at $200. I’ll invest about $100 in postcards, I think, though I don’t think I’m going to pay for the quality prints for those–I’ll get them in bulk from some online-site somewhere, more bang-for-the-buck and a not-so-quality print (though still good).

Suggestions on a good economical one?

olavf
    Participant

I went through and looked at a lot of sites, and ended up going through Mpix – if you download their software you can design the back side the way you want with website and whatnot.

I know you’re thinking bulk, but most of the sites I found that do that want 300pc orders and the like – per postcard. Mpix is about $16-19 for 25 cards -depending on size- so you could offer a range for your $100. And the quality is suitable for framing (which people seem to do around here. Some local vendors even do a mini-mat with cardstock for their postcard prints).

/plus, you backprint with your website and maybe contact info, and it’s like a business card that people want to pay for, right? 😀

ravnostic
    Participant

Good information olavf, TYVM!! I might (oh, hell, I will probably) be willing to extend the budget as necessary to get a suitable variety. The backside formatting option is a ++.

zincprincess
    Participant

My focus will be two-fold. 1) Local scenes (desert shots, etc.) to appeal to the out-of-towners, as though I think it’s ‘boring’ because I see it every day, I’ve been told most beginning photographers do best with their local surroundings and 2) The stuff that’s done best in the contests–which, in many cases, is the same thing–my 1st place from “Weather”, the 4th place Superstition panorama from “Volcanos, etc”, my 3rd place shot from “Stars” (photoshopping that damned plane out, though), the 4th place in “15 minutes”.

You might want to have some of your “artsy” stuff like your entries from Artsy Fartsy and maybe Defunct and Urban Art. Seems like your audience might be more artsy oriented. Or is that just a stereotype? 😉

ravnostic
    Participant

You might want to have some of your “artsy” stuff like your entries from Artsy Fartsy and maybe Defunct and Urban Art. Seems like your audience might be more artsy oriented. Or is that just a stereotype? 😉

Could be. 😀 The pictures of the sheep are among the shots I’m including, and a couple others of the better DP lens shots. (Color Pop, an artsier, fartsier version of ‘The long road behind you’, here: http://ravnostic.com/darlot.html )

//edit lol@zp; just looked back at ‘Defunct’ and saw the sperm oil shot. *giggles*. Yeah, that $play$ well in that crowd…

Farktographer
    Participant

I actually just finished my first experience with mpix and loved it. Got 4 of my shots printed in 10×13 metallic paper and loved how they turned out. They’re matted and up on my wall now…well, not anymore with the moving. I need to find a way to get them with me to the UK since they don’t fit in my luggage 🙁 But yeah, love the quality of mpix in comparison with shutterfly (given, those are the only two i’ve had experience with so far).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Finally got a round ‘tuit’’ is closed to new replies.