Fireworks images, please?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Fireworks images, please?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

I hope I’m not wrong in suggesting a fireworks thread? Feel free to add your own. Or not. 😀

I’ve never done fireworks with the DSLR (I annually go to a party w/friends that starts at 2pm and involves copious amounts of alcohol; usually I’m petered out by 8pm so I miss it.)

This year, I did a family bbq event instead, so I was up for some fireworks after. Here’s a link. I was shooting in jpg (big mistake there–whoops!) But I particularly liked that the crescent moon was both in view and in a phase that didn’t get completely blown out by the long exposures. A simple webpage with a few:

http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2011/jul/04/fireworks2011.html

Since those are low-quality jpgs which I don’t think do the shots enough justice, here’s two of them at much higher quality and larger (1200 pxl/large side):

http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2011/jul/04/fw07.jpg
    http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2011/jul/04/fw06.jpg

That 2nd one is my favorite. A crop@full resolution, shows why:
    http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2011/jul/04/fw06detail.jpg

And that’s my first foray into fireworks images.

I showed you mine–now show me yours?

clouddancer
    Participant

Didn’t see fireworks this year (pity because I wanted to go), so we did sparklers at home. Woo…sparklers..

Oh, and a bit of kitchen chemistry. This is cinnamon schnapps, and we roasted a marshmallow in spiced rum after this. Pics of that didn’t come out so well.

orionid
    Participant

You say “sparklers” like that’s a bad thing.

A Gross Misuse by Orionid, on Flickr

/144 Sparklers, some aluminum foil and some duct tape.

ravnostic
    Participant

Duct tape: Is there anything it cannot do?

//I mean, besides sealing ducts…

CD; I like the first shot with (is it?) Atrus. The dog, however, is not enjoying the moment. 🙂

I got a bunch of family shots with our ‘not quite on par with state level’ fireworks; haven’t gotten them edited yet.

Kestrana
    Participant

Fireworks start here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kestrana/5905312553/in/photostream

Nothing too amazing but this is probably my favorite:

Firecracker Fuse by kestrana, on Flickr

lokisbong
    Participant

I took a bunch of pics of the fireworks show last night but I need to go through them and pick the best ten or so out of the three hundred I took. I kinda failed right from the start because I forgot the quick release plate for my tripod at home(not sure why it wasn’t on the tripod or camera). No fancy backdrops either. just a very dark desert in the background. I will post some here when I get them picked out after I go run an errand or two.

chupathingie
    Participant

Nice shots, Rav! What are the wavy lines in the background down low? Looks like headlights on whoopdedoos…

No fireworks pics from me this year, they were banned due to fire risk (not sure why, most of Texas has already burned down).

ravnostic
    Participant

Nice shots, Rav! What are the wavy lines in the background down low? Looks like headlights on whoopdedoos…

That’s the Mill Ave. bridge, from where they shot the fireworks. Those lights drape across it all year long. Depending on your monitor you either can or can’t make out the bridge (I can, well, on the new monitor, notsomuch on the old.) And thanks!

ennuipoet
    Participant
    Plamadude30k
    Participant

I got absolutely nothing-I think a lot of the Tucson fireworks were cancelled on account of rain. The lightning wasn’t even very impressive-lots of cloud-to-cloud stuff that was rendered pretty much invisible. Good stuff here, though.

lokisbong
    Participant

Here are the best of my fireworks pics for this year. I forgot the stupid quick release plate thing for my tripod so they are all handheld.
    2011 fireworx 1

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

ennui, those are some awesome shots.

I didn’t think the fireworks at the lake this year were as good as some previous years, even though the budget was supposed to be larger this year. We had pretty good winds blow in that evening, which cooled things down but might’ve hampered the show. Here are a few of mine:

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Wow, nice shots folks! And lots of different styles too, from super sharp close-up’s of fireworks, to long exposure composites to intimate shots. Some of them really jumped off the page and spoke to me. But since I’m having one of those days where a couple hours after I say something I realize it came out wrong and I look like a moron, I’ll hold off on offering more specific compliments. Given how things have gone today, I’d probably end up insulting someone relatives when I meant to say the crop of a particular photo was intriguing.

Anyway, this year I was at a relatively big party with lots of people hanging out, drinking and eating on a wooden deck way up in the hills of Belmont California. The fireworks were quite far away and at sea level by the SF bay. So the shots are not sharp (no tripod + drunk people + cantilevered deck = the wiggles) but the perspective is interesting IMO. We were looking down at the fireworks with spots of lights all around from streets, cars, train tracks, buildings and a bridge across the bay. Here’s a full, uncropped shot as an example. The other photos (all cropped) are in the preceding pages of that gallery if you want to see more blowed up things.

I also got some shots before the sun was completely gone of planes descending into SFO, with fog rolling into the bay, backed by silhouettes of San Bruno mountain, Twin Peaks radio towers and some San Francisco buildings. In other words an an overload of Hallmark cliches but I like them. 🙂

ravnostic
    Participant

I like all of these. ennui‘s had a nice foredrop (i.e., opposite of backdrop, akin to what I went for with mine, but different/nicer). CISS‘s remind me of boats on the water (but–wait–thems not boats, and that’s not water!–izit?)

Kestrana
    Participant

IIRC those are boats on Grand Lake o’ the Cherokees

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • The topic ‘Fireworks images, please?’ is closed to new replies.