Fireworks images, please?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Fireworks images, please?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

You do indeed recall correctly, Kes; those are boats and that is Grand Lake. The streaks of light are from the boats swaying in the water because it was so windy that night.

Choc-Ful-A, the fog/mountain/plane shots are really cool. Too bad about the bluriness of the overhead fireworks shots, ’cause that’s a unique and interesting perspective to see them.

When you say “the crop of a particular photo was intriguing,” if you’re referring to mine, well, it wasn’t intentional. I framed the shot at the start of the show, but due to a little, shall we say “overenjoyment” of the evening’s festivities, I didn’t recheck the framing later in the progression and the wind shifted the center which resulted in off-center shots with some of them cutoff on the right.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

For reference, here’s a shot before it got completely dark and the wind kicked up:

More boats came into the cove later. That grassy hill is also usually filled with people. We had a blue-green algae scare at the lake this year which kept a ton of people away. It’s usually packed for the 4th weekend. The Friday before they actually considered closing the entire lake (keep in mind this is a lake with 1300 miles of shoreline). The following Monday, they issued a statement saying they more or less overreacted and it wasn’t that bad. Too late for all the merchants on the lake.

Mother Nature has not been kind to the lake this year. First, they got over 40″ of snow which collapsed a bunch of boat docks & marinas. Then in May they had a tornado that wiped out dozens of houses, docks & boats. And now the algae.

ravnostic
    Participant

Mother Nature has not been kind to the lake this year. First, they got over 40″ of snow which collapsed a bunch of boat docks & marinas. Then in May they had a tornado that wiped out dozens of houses, docks & boats. And now the algae.

“It’s always something”-Gilda Radner 😥

ennuipoet
    Participant

You do indeed recall correctly, Kes; those are boats and that is Grand Lake. The streaks of light are from the boats swaying in the water because it was so windy that night.

I had the worst problem with people bumping my tripod. I arrived early, hours early, to stake a out a spot where my pod would be out of the path of people (had I not, the park police would make me close it up). As the evening filled up people pressed in around me and kept brushing the pod during the exposure. I’ve dozens of shots all blurred to hell because someone couldn’t stand still.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I had the same thing happen at EPCOT, ennui. Got there waaay early for the fireworks show that night, setup my tripod and everything and people still tried to crowd in front of me as it got close to show time. I’m normally a pretty mild guy, but there was no way I was going to let that happen after staking out that spot for so long.

orionid
    Participant

You could try wearing a black skirt, red fishnets, spiked combat boots and a two-sizes too small Strawberry Shortcake t-shirt, and carry a squirtgun full of chlorox to squirt encroachers.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

😯 Please tell me you’re guessing that works and not speaking from experience… 😆

Yugoboy
    Participant

You could try wearing a black skirt, red fishnets, spiked combat boots and a two-sizes too small Strawberry Shortcake t-shirt, and carry a squirtgun full of chlorox to squirt encroachers.

Given that I haven’t cut my hair in over 7 years, all I have to do is refuse to tie it up, wear some ripped jeans and look really really pissed. People tend to leave me alone. It’s my normal travel attire (I rarely have people sit next to me at the airport) and it’s also my Christmas shopping wardrobe. I’m not really anti-social, I just don’t like to be delayed or hassled when I’m other-focused. It doesn’t work as well after dark, but I have found that profuse cursing and under-breath mumbling does tend to keep parents with kids at bay as well.

orionid
    Participant

Heh. Well. I’ve never used it for photography…. Actually, strike that.

First off, skirts are way more comfortable than pants so long as your not in a situation that may require running. The “boys” have all the room in the world.

Now that I’ve cleared that up, If I wanted to smuggle a camera into a metal show that I knew would have metal detectors, I would duct-tape it to the crotch of my underwear, put on a black skirt and combat boots (only once with the red fishnets and a knee-length, otherwise I went full length), and walk up like I knew exactly what I was doing.

When the metal detector would go off, they’d pull out a wand, and of course, it would only chirp over my junk. The guy would get this “oh shit” look on his face, and I’d smile and say “Jewelry. Lots of it.” Then he’d start a pat-down, get as far as my waist, then go “aw, shit… Just go ahead.”

My first stop, then, would be the bathroom to move the camera to my pocket. I’d also smuggle in neck and wrist chains that way. Steel-toed boots are good for camouflaging stuff, too.

As an aside to this, I started (infrequently) wearing skirts in middle school. Usually only on days I could get away with it (halloween, spirit week, etc), and I noticed that a guy in a skirt in public makes people uneasy. And they avoid me. Of course, the super-extroverts want to make all sorts of conversation and ask lots of questions, so for solidarity sake, it can backfire, but as a general rule, people avoid dude-skirts.

I still do it fairly infrequently, just for shits and giggles. My last time out was flying from Hartford to Seattle, and the guy sitting next to me on the plane looked like he was ready to leave as soon as he saw me.

(right before a Nine Inch Nails show in 2005)

/As far as the squirtgun full of chlorox? Well, that was someone else in a punk pit in Philly, and she ended up getting her ass beat after hitting a big linebacker dude in the face.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

You do realize that I’ll now be silently questioning myself whether your’re serious or joking over all future seemingly outrageous posts, right? 🙂

I’ve never been to a show that I wanted to photo bad enough to do that, but I do respect your lack of caring over what others might think.

ennuipoet
    Participant

While I’ve only worn skirts for Halloween parties…the less said the better…I’ve worn many a kilt. They are terribly comfortable, particularly on hot, muggy days! The gentle breeze on the down below is very comforting!

ravnostic
    Participant

Show off your work and/or ask for critiques. Constructive criticism and input welcome.

Heh. Well.

I’m reminded of the scene in “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along-Blog” where Moist goes with Conflict Diamond out on a double date with and Bait & Switch, thinking he’ll wind up with Bait, but….

I’m not going there. Here. What-ev-ar. 😯

//edit: NTTAWWT

orionid
    Participant

While I’ve only worn skirts for Halloween parties…the less said the better…I’ve worn many a kilt. They are terribly comfortable, particularly on hot, muggy days! The gentle breeze on the down below is very comforting!

Absolutely agreed on kilts. I wear mine from time to time as well, moreso than skirts. Whatever fashion guru somewhere between ancient Rome and now decided that skirts are for girls and not guys got it absolutely wrong. And the Scots didn’t care enough to listen. I blame the Brits.

/Also, try telling a kilt-clad Scot that he looks good in a skirt, see what happens. I recommend one that fits my mental Stereotype originated from a dude at the Glasgow train station looking like a 5 foot-7 Schwarzzeneggar lookalike in a Bright Red MacDonald clan kilt, work boots, and a Dunoon Beef Farms T-shirt.

You do realize that I’ll now be silently questioning myself whether your’re serious or joking over all future seemingly outrageous posts, right?

I like to keep people guessing. 😀

Kestrana
    Participant

What he failed to mention was that flight to Seattle was when he was coming out to see me after being separated for about 45 days, as I was preparing to move to the East Coast with him. I’m waiting anxiously (because I left my cell phone at work) at the baggage claim for my boyfriend and in between all the Army guys coming home from Afghanistan some dude in a skirt comes up to me…

Kestrana
    Participant

Who needs 4th of July. Just come to Sailfest New England:

Sail Fest 2011 Fireworks by kestrana, on Flickr

Sail Fest 2011 Fireworks by kestrana, on Flickr

Sail Fest 2011 Fireworks and the USS Nautilus SSN-571 by kestrana, on Flickr

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • The topic ‘Fireworks images, please?’ is closed to new replies.