Flickr Censorship

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    corsec67
    Participant

So, just before the “At the End of the Day” contest, I get an email saying that my entire Flickr account has been flagged “Unsafe”.

That means that people who aren’t logged in can see any of my pictures, people from Germany, Hong Kong, Korea, and Singapore can see my pictures, and only people who set their “safe level” to “Unsafe” can see my pictures.

Considering how incredibly vague their descriptions of what the safe levels should be, that is really annoying. (I think it might have been this picture that was the problem, but they didn’t tell me or warn me at all.)

So, I will slowly be moving my stuff over to Zooomr, which is going to be annoying, but I have no guarantees that my Flickr account is going to be back or stay back.

swampa
    Participant

*lol* I just went to look at the picture of the flying deer and got the “you must be signed in to view this” message. Thought it was strange!

nobigdeal
    Participant

Flickr is a bit prudish toward nudity. They will restrict accounts with naked shots.

Pbase is more of an anything goes site.

How is Zooomr for reliability?

jpatten
    Participant

Well I have heard Rumor’s yahoo is going to go belly up. If so you think flickr accounts are gonna go *poof* ? I would like to have an account I can upload too. I have a seperate private flickr account that everything is marked private on for pictures that …. would not be work safe.
    No do not ask they dont get shared.

corsec67
    Participant

Flickr is a bit prudish toward nudity. They will restrict accounts with naked shots.

Pbase is more of an anything goes site.

How is Zooomr for reliability?

I don’t know how reliable Zooomr is. Flickr isn’t perfectly reliable, but they are definitely very good.

If I just wanted a host, I would just use my site, but Flickr provided a way for people to comment, maps, and a bunch of other stuff that Zooomr also mostly provides.

Certainly Flickr being owned by Yahoo has its risks, like being bought by MS. Zoomr could easily be bought out, though.

jpatten
    Participant

Well another lits Im on mentioned Flickr is commercially viable enough to likely survive yahoo going under. So, I’m going to stick with it for now. On the photography forum I’m on a lot of people use Smugmug but not sure of its prices. It seems to have no problem with nudity

corsec67
    Participant

Well another lits Im on mentioned Flickr is commercially viable enough to likely survive yahoo going under. So, I’m going to stick with it for now. On the photography forum I’m on a lot of people use Smugmug but not sure of its prices. It seems to have no problem with nudity

Yeah, no doubt that Flickr is strong enough to survive. But being bought and transformed is indifferent to strength, just look at something like Hotmail or any of the other companies in MS’ warpath.

Smugmug seems more of a straight host, and doesn’t have as much social stuff, which is pretty much all I am going for.

jpatten
    Participant

well it will be a pain to move everything over if it comes down to it

corsec67
    Participant

well it will be a pain to move everything over if it comes down to it

Yeah, that is very much, incredibly, true.

I have all of the full-size versions, so not impossible, but still a huge task.

I am now thinking that Ipernity might suit me better, since they are French, and not American. (I only live here, I didn’t make the culture)

schnee
    Participant

ipernity uses OpenID. That’s vague nifty in a geeky sort of way

andyofne
    Participant

It isn’t so much flickr that is prudish, it’s the users who flag your photos. When I have anything questionable in my stream, I mark it myself.

sleeping
    Participant

I’ve been kind of tempted to move from flickr as well, I’m not that thrilled about their current attitude, but I haven’t found an alternative I like better. However, I did find a tool out there called migratr which can apparently move images including all the useful metadata (tags, titles etc) between several hosting providers: http://www.callingshotgun.net/about/migratr/ (doesn’t support ipernity at this point though…)

caradoc
    Participant

I haven’t had any issues with Flickr flagging me as “unsafe,” but that’s probably because I’m anal-retentive about flagging my own images very conservatively as “moderate” or “restricted.”

They’ve been known to flag entire accounts as “unsafe” when people haven’t been setting the appropriate flags.

corsec67
    Participant

They’ve been known to flag entire accounts as “unsafe” when people haven’t been setting the appropriate flags.

Yeah, that seems to have caught me.

It does annoy me that there wasn’t any warning or specifics about… anything, really. Even their FAQ is incredibly vague as to what should be given what flagging.

They just said “we have issues with your account”, and haven’t given me any options.

Morningbreath
    Participant

Your photos don’t always load for me, Corsec, maybe switching hosts would be a good thing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Flickr Censorship’ is closed to new replies.