Skip to toolbar

Flickr question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rdaw
    Participant

Quick question – I’m new to farktography, and have only recently gotten a flickr page. Not only did I want a place for my general pics on flickr, but also for pics of my son. I wondered what people thought of posting kid pics there? Safe? Not safe? I know I can lock them down if need be, but then grandparents must jump through hoops in order to view them, etc – I’d rather not do that if it’s not necessary. I’ve checked with a few folks who didn’t think open-access was a problem, but my wife suggested otherwise (while stating that she was probably just being an over-protective parent).
    Whaddaya think? Thanks for any advice…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I lock almost all of my kids’ pictures, usually to friends/family. If you have friends/family not on Flickr and want to share locked photos with them, you can set up albums with pictures, then share those specific albums with them. There’s a link on each album page with something like “Share this album” on it, then you put in the email addresses of the folks you want to share it with, and they’ll get an invitation from Flickr to view them, complete with a link to them.

Like you said, some folks don’t think it’s a big deal to put kid pictures out there publically, while others are more paranoid about it (and I don’t mean that in a negative way–I’m closer to that camp myself. I also don’t post my location on profiles and such, for that matter). For me, I guess it’s also partly about general privacy and not wanting to share all the intimate details of my family life with absolutely everyone in the world. Ultimately if some pervert wanted to take a picture of a beautiful smiling child and save it off to imagine disgusting things to later, well there isn’t anything any of us can do about that, and someone could pass you/your children on the street and think/imagine the same things. Not sure how much of your question that answers, but there’s things for you and your wife to consider either way 🙂

caradoc
    Participant

I, too, keep the kid pictures locked to friends/family.

Ultimately, if you’d be upset if someone else got their hands on it, it doesn’t belong *anywhere* on the internet. Ever. Sooner or later, everything leaks.

rdaw
    Participant

Thanks to both of you for the input – I didn’t know about the album function on flickr, which may fit the bill for my less computer-literate relatives. Clicking on a link I think they can handle. And getting pics of our son (proud as we are) out of the public domain will make my wife feel better (although Elsinore, your comment about passerby on the street makes it feel kinda like shutting the barn door after the horse has gone).
    Cheers

Elsinore
    Keymaster

In a way, it is like that…I mean there’s nothing any of us can do about someone else’s private thoughts, and there’s nothing that says only random internet people have those thoughts–people on the street or in the next cubicle over could have them too. But there’s something about someone having access to pictures which I think just seems more permanent than random strangers whom we might never see again. caradoc is also correct that things can and do leak. Either way, I think you’ll find Flickr gives you a reasonable measure of privacy control.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.