Gallery folder/mishmash stuff

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Gallery folder/mishmash stuff

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Captured this unexpectedly today. Note the spot of sun flare; draw a line from it and through the brightest part of the arc, and that’s where the sun is located, behind the tree and out of frame. The focal point of the radius of the arc itself would be directly overhead, also just out of frame. I’d use it for ‘Weather’, but compared to more brilliant rainbows and more dramatic tornados, etc., I don’t think it would do well, and as it’s my first sighting evar of a CZA (and first pictures), I’d hate to have it fail. I like it anyway. Not a commonly photographed phenomenon (compared to rainbows, at least)

ravnostic
    Participant

Got a whole three days off (not in a row) this week, and was doing a session for one of my ideas this week for “MLYLT”. Had a great time–everyone should go buy a plumb bob. Only nine bucks at Homo Depot. Had a zillion ideas. Tried about 1/2 so far. A couple of ‘B’z (not really happy with the ‘save for web’ results, especially–this was ISO 100-200!! Works well in B/W, though):

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Can you explain what’s happening in the second one please? Strobelight and motion or … ?

ravnostic
    Participant

In a great many ways, they’re much the same. In the 2nd picture, you’re looking over a “Michael’s Craft” pre-made canvas that I painted in ocher tones long ago. Over it I hung the plumb, scant mm’s high (there’s a black tip to the plumb; you can see it most easily on the right). In this shot, with the low angle and barely any lighting (except the strobe), you’re seeing the plumb as it swings in an oval over the canvas surface. The lighting here for all practical purposes is ‘Rembrandt’, from the strobe. Behind the canvas as a backdrop is another pre-made board I’ve covered with a black 200 threadcount pillowcase from Wal-mart. At this angle with this light, you can’t see the fishing line thread I used.

The 1st picture is the same view/angle/technique, but I’ve opened the curtains for more lighting (higher up, as it was), and instead of hanging the plumb properly, I’ve threaded it around (instead of inside) the thread-mount piece. This left the weight askew, and added another axis of rotation to the image when prodded for the photo. A consequence to that is that the thread from which it dangles is conspicuously evident.

ravnostic
    Participant

I was out shooting pics for ‘Glass II’ and happened upon what I thought was a nice scene. I stole a few shots. Apparently a few too many, as the couple approached me shortly afterward–to ask if I could send them any good ones. Well, insofar as the focus not being quite perfect, meah. But they’re nice enough for them, I suppose. Truthfully I was more interested in the artist/illustrator who was seated behind them. We takes the pictures we have before us, not the ones we want.

But the whispering rabbit makes the pictures, IMHO.

http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2011/mar/29/fountain.html

//don’t click the pics, they go to full-res 6.5mb images. And they aren’t any more in focus.

ravnostic
    Participant

Shots from my ‘midnight to dawn’ shooting adventure this morning. Some may be future contest entries, some may not. Had fun.

The downtown Phoenix at midnight shots were…a little scary (I brought my stun gun; then having processed at home and realizing my lens was smudged beyond belief–went back and retook the shots, sans stun gun; I got over it–it’s not as bad as Detroit, after all…).

The photos are chronological, from about 4 am to 6am.

orionid
    Participant

Nice. Although, I’d have taken the Springfield 1911A.

ravnostic
    Participant

Although, I’d have taken the Springfield 1911A.

Whuzat? 😕

caradoc
    Participant

Springfield 1911A:

This one looks like it’s been customized a bit.

ravnostic
    Participant

I get a “Image hosted by tripod” gif, but I googled it. Me with a gun? I’d end up shooting my foot, most probably.

caradoc
    Participant

Weird. It shows up for me. Very weird.

ravnostic
    Participant

If I open in a new tab it shows up. No matter. Here’s hoping for good lightning tonight! Elsewise I’ll settle for man-made fireworks.

orionid
    Participant

1911 by Orionid, on Flickr

Bang by Orionid, on Flickr

chupathingie
    Participant

OK, first picture… why only 2 (since you obviously have 3 or more hands)?

Last picture: Nice catch! How did you time that?

orionid
    Participant

OK, first picture… why only 2 (since you obviously have 3 or more hands)?

Last picture: Nice catch! How did you time that?

Third hand was pressing the shutter. And with only two 1911’s the HK USP 2000 would have looked out of place.

The last photo was actually a long exposure in total darkness (outdoors, overcast, new moon). If you look over my wrist, you’ll see a wire. I was holding a microphone against the grip with my thumb, when I squeezed the trigger, it picked up the hammer drop and told my sound-activated flash controller to fire with zero delay. This exposed the gun and my hands. A split second later, the fire cone escaping the barrel exposed itself.

I have others in the series with the timing retarded a bit, and you can see the brass ejecting.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • The topic ‘Gallery folder/mishmash stuff’ is closed to new replies.