Geminid Meteors peaking early Tuesday Morning

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Geminid Meteors peaking early Tuesday Morning

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Anyone planning on trying to catch a few? In the US, it should be good for people west of the Mississippi, the further west, the better.

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/gemini-meteor-shower-peaking-now-101213.html

Curious
    Participant

i’m a few miles east of the mississippi and it’s going to be 19 tomorrow morning. think i’ll pass.

a few years back i tried watching this. wasn’t quite as cold that night but 120 per hour is 2 a minute and frankly i was both cold and underwhelmed. fun for 5-10 minutes, ok for 10-15 minutes back in the house by 20 minutes.

however for folks with more enthusiasm for astro stuff it’s definitely worth watching.

ravnostic
    Participant

Well, we’re going to be up to 79 today in Phoenix, with a low around 50. Out at Bloody Basin Rd where it’s dark, it’ll be nearer to 40, but that’s totally survivable with some hot coffee. Plus, I don’t actually have to watch the meteors, I can sit comfortably in the car with the remote shutter and just keep clicking 30 second exposures in any given direction…at 2 a minute, over an hour, one will surely fly by the open shutter…or I would hope. But I’ll be awake anyway, might as well…

Curious
    Participant

Plus, I don’t actually have to watch the meteors, I can sit comfortably in the car with the remote shutter and just keep clicking 30 second exposures in any given direction…at 2 a minute, over an hour, one will surely fly by the open shutter…or I would hope.

hadn’t thought of that. will have to try my new wireless shutter release from inside the house.

The best time to watch for Gemind meteors will be at 6 a.m. EST (1100 GMT), when the shower is expected to be at its most active. that’s 5 here and about the time i’m getting up for work. perhaps if the release works i’ll just set the camera outside and snap a few while i get ready to leave.

SilverStag
    Participant

Geminid Meteors peaking early Tuesday Morning = Clouds and overcast peaking early Tuesday Morning.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Weather says clear skies tonight, but a temp of 21 at 5am. I don’t know if I’m up for that or not.

lokisbong
    Participant

It looks like it will be at least partly cloudy here but as of right now it is all cloudy and almost looks like rain.

orionid
    Participant

The long-range forecast says clouds and rain until spring.

ravnostic
    Participant

The best time to watch for Gemind meteors will be at 6 a.m. EST (1100 GMT), when the shower is expected to be at its most active.[/i] that’s 5 here and about the time i’m getting up for work. perhaps if the release works i’ll just set the camera outside and snap a few while i get ready to leave.

Meteors can go in any direction, heading away from Gemini which should be high in the west for you. Aim for SW and NW, whichever has less light pollution. That will probably be your best bet. 1-2 minutes is grand and all, but where in the sky to point means it could be a while to capture one good one in your field of view. I’ll be shooting into the NW myself.

All the rest of you

I’ll try my best to get some good ones on your behalves. 😛

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Geminid Meteors peaking early Tuesday Morning’ is closed to new replies.